Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusually dressed panzermen

http://edelweissandtheeasternfront.t...e/118188848758

Trooper in the middle seems to have no eagle and collar patches on his wrapper, trooper on the right has litzen on his black panzer wrapper and both are wearing W-SS pea-dot pattern camo trousers...

Perhaps not panzer either, note the IAB and is that a LW belt buckle? Has me thinking of the summer of 44 and that these guys are perhaps rückkämpfer
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

looks like the guy to the left is wearing an
      ss panzerwrap without insignia!

Comment

Surrendering?

They somehow resemble the troops surrendering on the Czech/ German border in May 1945. That could explain the strange mix of LW, Heer and SS items
        Perhaps they just picked up what they could find since they were heading for the POW camp anyway. They are still carrying weapons, but the photo could have been taken while they were on their way to the disarming area.

Comment

photo

The image reminds me of a friend who was in the 11. PD at the end. He said there was always a problem with supplies and his black uniform was so shabby he tossed his jacket and obtained a LW camo jacket and applied his rank as an Uffz. but he could only scrounge a pair of private purchase medical Uffz. straps which he still had when I met him in the 1970's. Was I ever disappointed to see those straps instead of some off of a wrapper.

Comment

Thanks for the story, pauke,
            collecting must be exciting when you can pick up items from the veterans who actually wore them :-)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X