Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erich Hartmann and his Bf109 G6, 1944

Hello guys,
    I would like to show you my latest acquired "private" photo of Erich Hartmann and his Bf109 G6 (Karaya-1). This one was most probably taken in Csór/Hungary on October 27'th, 1944.

Regards,
    Bartosz

Here is a photo of Karaya 1
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
      Here is a photo of Karaya 1
      Bf109 G6 on my photo has modified Karaya emblem. It was done after Hartmann's marriage with Ursula "Usch" Paetsch on September 10'th, 1944.

Regards,
      Bartosz

Comment

what mean karaya?

Comment

Originally posted by klasterix71 View Post
          what mean karaya?
          Karaya was the title of 9./JG52 favourite song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H9H_NoYBXA

Regards,
          Bartosz

Comment

Everything you said is correct except when the emblem changed it was no longer named Karaya 1 (photo I posted)...it was replaced with the heart emblem with "Usch" late 44 in Hungary.

I'm attaching another photo that I found on a website blog of the same bf109 in Hungary and quite possibly out of the same photo group as yours.

By the way I forgot to mention that your photo is a great find and rare.

Bill

Originally posted by Major02 View Post
            Bf109 G6 on my photo has modified Karaya emblem. It was done after Hartmann's marriage with Ursula "Usch" Paetsch on September 10'th, 1944.

Regards,
            Bartosz
            Attached Files

Comment

Bartosz (Major 02) stated Karaya was the title of 9./JG52 favourite song

I would like to add that the entire staffel became known as the Karaya Staffel and Hartmann's call sign was "Karaya Eins" even though he no longer had Karaya on his personal emblem.

I've attached another photo of the same group as the original that was posted at the beginning of this thread

Everything you said is correct except when the emblem changed it was no longer named Karaya 1 (photo I posted)...it was replaced with the heart emblem with "Usch" late 44 in Hungary.

I'm attaching another photo that I found on a website blog of the same bf109 in Hungary and quite possibly out of the same photo group as yours.

By the way I forgot to mention that your photo is a great find and rare.

Bill
              Attached Files
              Last edited by W Petz; 05-07-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Looks familiar?

Source: Bernd Barbas, Geschichte der II.Gruppe des Jagdgeschwaders 52, Traditionsgemeinschaft JG52 via ww2aircraft.net

Regards,
                Bartosz

Comment

In reference to "The Blond Knight of Germany: A biography of Erich Hartmann" (Raymond Toliver and Trevor Constable) Karaya-1 was a nickname of Hartmann's Bf109 till the end of the war, regardless of the actual emblem.
                  "Karaya was the radio call sign or identification of Erich's combat flight. He was Karaya One and his wingman was Karaya Two. The leader of the second flight was Karaya Three and his wingman was Karaya Four."

May 8'th, 1945
                  "The end of the war was now only hours away for I./JG-52. Karaya One's engine hissed into silence".

Regards,
                  Bartosz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X