Any ideas what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas what this is?

I've never seen anything like this before and wasn't sure where to post it.

It was found in the Stalingrad area and the seller says it's German. I'm trying to get better photos from him to see if the writting can be read but in the meantime, does anyone have a clue?

To me, it looks like an emblem for a war correspondent or reporter being that the duck or whatever it is has a microphone in one errr...wing, a newspaper in the other and a camera round it's neck.

Could it be an ink stamp?
    Attached Files

Is this clearer?
    Attached Files

Comment

Just to help

Hi Ben,

I don't know what it is but it might be easier for someone who knows to look at a mirrored version of the pic:

/Carl

Comment

19. Aug 1939 - Westfront?
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting that the text seems to say "19 Aug 1939" and west front, before the war actually started.

Comment

I'm such a dumb ass, why didn't I think of that? Thank you!

So it must be an ink stamp then?

Very puzzling...
            Last edited by BenVK; 05-02-2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Der EntschluĂź zur Entfesselung des Zweiten Weltkrieges in Europa mit einem geplanten Ăśberfall auf Deutschland fiel bereits am 19. August 1939 in einer Geheimrede Stalins.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin'...19_August_1939

Comment

The only reference I can find to German propaganda and a duck or goose is this poster which seems to be saying “Shame on you, chatterbox! The enemy is listening. Silence is your duty.”

Schwätzer can also mean blabbermouth or gasbag apparently. I think Hitler once refered to Churchill as a "Schwätzer und Trunkenbold"

So maybe this is an ink stamp for some kind of propaganda leaflet referring to Stalin's speech and inferring he is a Schwätzer?
                Attached Files

Comment

Maybe this thread can be moved over to the paper and documents forum?

It's obviously not uniform related.

Comment

I also find this puzzling and since no one else have answered I might as well share my speculations.

Perhaps it does not refer to Stalins alleged speech but to the German–Soviet Trade and Credit Agreement that was signed on aug 19th 1939. This agreement must have been very gekados at the time and I think the duck might symbolise western media. Could it be some kind of ink stamp for press releases?

If the duck was meant to portray Stalin, why would he wear a camera?

Just my humble thoughts.

/Carl

He he, you learn something new every day on this forum - I've never heard the expression gasbag before. Is it a typical British expression? Love it.

Comment

Interesting. Maybe a stamp or something used in printing press. The duck was a popular symbol for Propaganda units and the West Front was a field newspaper. Maybe just part of the archives of a propaganda unit. Jim
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think it is also for a PK unit, the duck and quacking in German culture was a symbol of loud noise and never shutting up basically and as noted often was used for Propaganda units. I think August 19th could be the date of the first edition of the "West-front" newspaper.

Comment

What does it say on the bottom scroll?

Comment

I believe it was for PK 637 which according to the Bundesarchiv published "Westfront" (Hrsg.: Propaganda-Kompanie 637)

The same unit was also at Stalingrad. jim

Comment

Brilliant detective work guys, many thanks.

This has to be a one of a kind piece then I would assume and amazing that it was found at all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X