Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willrich Postcard Question

Hello,

Recently I bought a unused Willrich Panzer Fahrer postcard and it arrived today. I am unsure if it is original or not. The printed writing is a brown color and not black like I have seen before and the paper feels smooth to me and not the rougher, postcard type of paper like on a few other Willrich cards I have that I believe are original. I did not pay much for it and I am not a dedicated postcard collector, I like Willrich's artwork though and since it was cheap I got it.

Is anyone familiar with repro Willrich cards?

G

Hello Glen,

did you check your card with an UV light ?
    it may help you in the future to identify possible fakes or repros.

Some known repros of Willrich are listed here :

http://galleria.thule-italia.com/in-...-sale/?lang=fr

See You

Vince

Comment

Vince,

I did not think of using a black light and just checked. I cannot say the postcard in question glows any different than some original photos or the couple postcards I have that I believe are original. It looks dull when compared to the mailing envelope it was sent in.

I doubt for a couple Euros it would be worth the effort to make repros of a common tank driver postcard compared to a well known personality, but who knows. I read somewhere online where someone said these postcards should only have black ink on the back where the caption etc. This one is brown and it concerned me. Maybe that is incorrect.

Thank you for the advice!
      G

Comment

Hello Glenn,

do you may have a picture of this postcard ?

See You

Vince

Comment

Vince,

Here are a couple photos of the postcard in question, I took this photo in the sunlight:

Nothing rare, just would like to get some opinions about its authenticity if possible.

Thank you!

G

Comment

Hi Glen,

Looks fine to me

Full retail value would be somewhere in the $15 -20 range, depending on the seller.

Best regards....John

Comment

Originally posted by johninhb View Post
              Hi Glen,

Looks fine to me

Full retail value would be somewhere in the $15 -20 range, depending on the seller.

Best regards....John
              +1
              Piotr

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. I was not sure because of the type of paper used and the ink color. Maybe this was used later during the War?

G

Comment

Hi,

like most of the 3rd Reich postcards, dozen of variations of each model exist.

I'm collecting some specific photoshots done by Hoffmann of Hitler, and this is just a nightmare to see so many (original) variations.

Just checking on EBay.de, we can find the next variations :

The other postcards in the collection are also available with a brown print at the back.

Only a study of circulated postcards can maybe tell us which variant was the first, the second etc...

See You

Vince

Comment

Vince,

I have seen these two print variations on other postcards, I have one of each for Major Koch of Eben Emael fame. I was unaware of the brown print version for Willrich postcards though.

Never thought there would be so many variations in something small like postcard print! Always learning something new about 3rd Reich militaria!!!

Thank you

G

Comment

Hello Glen,

you're welcome.
                      Collecting variants of "cheap" documents can be the fun, postcards is a good way to keep your eye on the market to learn and discover more variants years after years.

Here is an interesting example : this Hoffmann shot (same size and frame) is available on at least seven (!) variants (size, text, edge, paper ect).

Here is a brown print of another postcard of the same Willrich serie :

And another one here :
                      http://www.papersandrares.de/home/30...nzerwaffe.html

Some "famous" pictures of drawings were also printed for special editions.
                      Some Länder made special Winterhilfeswerk postcards, the size, quality of paper and of course the back print are usually different to the "normal" postcard version.

Most postcard collectors are checking the back print before the front cover ^_^
                      And of course you can add the dozen of thousand of stamps collectors...

See You

Vince

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X