X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on this AH signature .......

seems ok to me ....

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=793864

I personally wouldn't buy it. First off, the price, $900 for a Hitler photo is VERY low. They start at $2K and go up from there. The slant of the signature is off. There are a lot of differences when compared to the 1933 version. It COULD be real, but odds are against it.

Comment

How often was a signature done in pencil back then?
      Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        How often was a signature done in pencil back then?
        Richard V
        I don't think all that often. Its also can be a red flag for a forgery because it won't show all the hesitation as a pen would..

Another thing, and someone can correct me if I am wrong. Hitler had OCD when signing stuff. Wouldn't sign stuff on a slant. Would turn the picture to its correct angle and then sign.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
          I believe it is authentic. It falls squarely within the acceptable range of variation for the period.

It is not at all uncommon to find pencil signatures, especially during the early period. I would agree that later on they are more unlikely.

The inscription on the reverse is period and Hitler was at the Berghof on that date.

It also is similar to signatures from the period, which I will post later.

I am only selling it at that price because I need the money. I also paid a reasonable price for it. I have put up AH signatures here on the forum for more but I would usually get bargained down anyway.

I will post some more examples later.
          Thanks again
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree that early on pencil signatures were not that uncommon. I have an authenoic 1934 Baldur von Schirach pencil signed signature.

Comment

Further discussion to follow.
              Bottom right is July 1933 with a recipient inscription.
              For example, while Hitler's signature was fairly detailed early on, it became more generic as time went on. During this period the TL becomes less pronounced while the formation of ER becomes more homogenous.
              Also note the H slant and baseline slant of the itler in relation to the H.
              Attached Files

Comment

Well you certainly make a good case for it. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Pencil was used so it sticks better - to anyone serious wanting a Signature at the time as inks could be wiped and makes it look distored.

I have a Period early one from around this time.

EDIT - Note the back is exaclty what happens when signed in Ink
                  Last edited by chris235; 03-30-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

For me an original signature. It's not the best one i have seen but for that price a nice deal.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X