WW1 Combat Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Combat Photo

It is often claimed that there are no real combat photos from WW1.
    The after combat photo showing the dead French soldier with missing legs has probably been seen by all. Another photo, looking in the opposite direction, shows a similar scene also showing dead soldiers with live soldiers inspecting the mess. These two photos are often seen, but one that is not as common is a third one, showing soldiers huddled against the berm, with a burning tank in the back ground.
    Upon closer inspection, I began to notice that in the after action photo there is a tank in the background and, in the middle ground, an ammunition box. Upon looking again at the the photo of the huddled soldiers, you can see the same box, and, as I mentioned, the same tank, but burning.
    It dawned on me that what we're looking at in these three photos is before and after shots of soldiers before and after they were, apparently, hit by artillery.
    In the before shot, the soldiers are clearly under fire. In the after shot, the same soldiers are dead. The photographer, like the inspecting, and clearly traumatized, soldiers, has survived to record the whole event.
    So, here we have a graphic example of WW1 combat, as it happened. See for yourself.http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&d=1426796649
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&d=1426796649
    Attached Files

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&d=1426796797
    Attached Files

Comment

War...I've seen that is person....no glory in it !

Comment

A sad photo, reality of war.

Comment

Thats right, the sad reality of war.

Comment

Hello.

thanks for posting these, good detective work.

It's quite chilling to see the men taking cover and then clearly killed soon after.
            Brings me back to reality when looking at my metal and cloth objects at home.

Comment

It is 'chilling' indeed.

Comment

Hopefully at least one member of this platoon survived.
                This looks like it might be the same soldier before and after the barrage .
                Attached Files

Comment

Could be.

Comment

Yes,does look like him. They are all ghosts now.

Comment

About as close as it gets for WW1

The fist photo I doubt the photographer would be standing up to take the photo while a barrage was in progress but most likely very soon before or after.

Comment

If you'll notice, the photographer was standing up against the berm, and in the second, he's standing away from it. My guess is artillery had already hit the tank and we are in between rounds landing, so the photographer rose up to get the shot, and probably quickly got back down, before more rounds landed, which killed many, but not all who were crouching against the berm.

Comment

Would have to see the original negative to figure out how big it is.

If he was an 'official' photographer my guess he would of been using a large-format camera (no 35mm yet) on a tripod or even a wet plate?

Combat photography, as we think of it, would have to wait another 20 of technical development.

Comment

Or he could have been using the Kodak, pocket, fold up, "soldier's camera," that was popular during the war. I have one that was carried by an Aussie ambulance driver through the war. It took surprisingly good photos.

Comment

Examples of photos taken with the Kodak Pocket Vest Camera: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-trenches.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X