The same guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The same guys?

Again I have found a pic I think is the same as a guy in a soldbuch, this one is the one I think.
    The guy in the soldbuch was in the battle of Kursk, and this is a pic of some soldiers resting during the battle of Kursk.

Both in the battle of Kursk and both sergeants.
    Let me know if you think it's the same guy or not.
    Attached Files

h
    Attached Files

Comment

Very well could be IMO Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        Very well could be IMO Tom

thanks for the reply Tom, I can't see one feature that doesn't seem to match up.

Regards
        Greg

Comment

Agree...everything seems to match...I think it is the same person.

Robert Gerard

Comment

Looks very similar, but profile and front-on photos are hard to compare.

As you have his Soldbuch, perhaps you can post some of its pages, such as promotions, units, hospital admissions, medals and furlough. This information will determine if your man was the correct rank and actually with his unit at Kursk in July 1943.

And what about the original photo? Do you have more information about it? Was it on the northern or southern Kursk shoulder?

Jason

Comment

Your photo has the following label:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0553A-07,_Russland,_bei_Pokrowka,_erschöpfte_Soldaten

I found a different photo from the same series. Both state they were taken at Pokrovka (I'm not familiar with that location). Anyone?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0553A-10,_Russland,_bei_Pokrowka,_Soldat_mit_Zigarette.j pg

Jason

- - -
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jmark; 03-12-2015, 09:00 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

OK, Pokrovka seems to be on the southern shoulder of the Kursk salient. Two entries regarding this village:

7 July 1943: German General Hoth and his 4th Panzer Army move into the salient, covering some 20 miles in territory. Their advantage brings them near Pokrovka.

12 July 1943: A huge battle involving more than 1000 tanks of the German and Soviet armies duke it out near Pokrovka.

I checked Nipe's "Blood, Steel and Myth" and Pokrovka is mentioned quite a few times. Seems it was in the sector of XXXXVIII. Panzerkorps and the main Heer unit deployed near Pokrovka was 11. Panzer-Division. If your Soldbuch man belonged to 11.Pz.Div., then chances the photo is him are much higher.

Jason
                Last edited by jmark; 03-12-2015, 09:09 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Thanks Robert and thanks Jason for looking at that for me.

Jason, I think he was on the northern shoulder with the 9th army
                  (Inf. reg 447), but I will post some pics of the soldbuch for you to see shortly.

Cheers
                  Greg
                  Last edited by Hofstetter; 03-13-2015, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Hofstetter; 03-13-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

match

The most obvious difference I see is the well receded hair line of the combat vet. And the combat vet's nose is more of a "ski slope" whereas the Soldbuch fellow has a pronounced bridge to his nose.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                            The most obvious difference I see is the well receded hair line of the combat vet. And the combat vet's nose is more of a "ski slope" whereas the Soldbuch fellow has a pronounced bridge to his nose.
                            I don't agree on the nose, I think the nose looks exactly the same.
                            With the front on shot of the soldbuch photo, it is impossible to tell if his nose has that ski like curve to it.
                            As for the hair line I have thought the same thing, however I do think the way he has his hair slicked back a little sideways may cover that receded area.

The one aspect that convinces me more than anything is the ears,
                            I have read somewhere that the ear was the most distinguishing feature with these identification photo's, and I thnk the ears are the same.
                            Especially the earlobes even though the combat vets photo is in profile, I think you can see the point where they bend out at the bottom as in the soldbuch photo. (maybe that is wishfull thinking on my part).
                            Last edited by Hofstetter; 03-13-2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

No more comments/opinions??,
                              I'm convinced it is the same person, exact same features,
                              same corps,same rank and same battle!!
                              What are the chances of getting a soldbuch and finding his photo amonst the Bundesarchive photo's.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X