Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with photo

Hi,

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me the rank and branch of service of the man in this photo.

Best regards
    Larrister
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Larrister
    Hi,

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me the rank and branch of service of the man in this photo.

Best regards
    Larrister
    Nice pic.. I think he isi nthe very early luftwaffe (early 30's) and appears to be a oberlt. I have seen a pic of Udet wearing the same small eagle on sleeve and the breast pin. I will let others more knowledgeable than me correct if I am wrong. Mike

Comment

Hi Larrister, the uniform he is wearing is for the DLV, the Deutscher Luftsport Verband. This was set up in 1933 as a clandestine way of training men in flying.

The eagle badge on the sleeve is the DLV emblem. The wings are for a pilot/observer.

His rank is that of "Fliegervize-kommodore". Note the special shoulder straps.

The DLV uniforms provided the basis for the new Luftwaffe uniforms, hence Mike's thoughts.

Cheers, Ade.

PS Nice photo.

Comment

As stated earlier it is DLV insignia. I swear I have seen this guy before in another (later) picture. Any names associated with this photo?

Al

Comment

Thanks Mike and Ade. Al, there is nothing written on the back of the photo.

Larrister

Comment

Hi Al,

I was doing a search on another subject when I came across a pic of Hans Rudel receiving the Knight Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords from Hitler. With him are Dieter Hrabak on the left and Erwin Hentschell who looks very much like the guy in the photo I posted. Is Hentschell the person you were thinking about? Here is a photo with Hentschell to the left of Rudel.
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X