Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady Bavaria monument in Munich

Thanks!
    Very appropriately posted at this time, as she overlooks the Oktoberfest / Theresienwiese, "Wies'n".

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
      Thanks!
      Very appropriately posted at this time, as she overlooks the Oktoberfest / Theresienwiese, "Wies'n".
      And also Bavarias biggest fleamarket once a year:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=fleamarket

Comment

Nice, original photo, taken during the 1933 Labor Day celebration in Munich.

I wonder whether the Lady Bavaria statue formed at least part of the inspiration for the creation of the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor? I had not realized that it is possible to climb up inside Lady Bavaria and look out through windows in her crown (see Wikipedia), and that got me thinking about the Statue of Liberty, which features the same vantage point. Though made of different materials and Lady Liberty is three times the height of the Lady Bavaria statue, Lady Bavaria is 15 years older than Bartholdi's colossus in New York Harbor.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          Nice, original photo, taken during the 1933 Labor Day celebration in Munich.

I wonder whether the Lady Bavaria statue formed at least part of the inspiration for the creation of the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor? I had not realized that it is possible to climb up inside Lady Bavaria and look out through windows in her crown (see Wikipedia), and that got me thinking about the Statue of Liberty, which features the same vantage point. Though made of different materials and Lady Liberty is three times the height of the Lady Bavaria statue, Lady Bavaria is 15 years older than Bartholdi's colossus in New York Harbor.

Cheers,

Br. James
          Very possible as this was the first creation of it's kind since Roman times.
          Last edited by BlackWatch1; 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X