My Opa - WW2 German Navy & Luftwaffe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Opa - WW2 German Navy & Luftwaffe

My mom was born in East Prussia and her father was a patriotic German. Alfons Joseph Skorski served in the German Navy during the early part of the Second World War. When his term was up he joined the Luftwaffe to be a fallschirmjäger. He was killed in action on the Eastern Front in 1943.

As my mom was a refugee during the war, the only items she has of her father is a letter he wrote her shortly before his death and the German government death notification card (in storage ... I'm looking for them) as well as three photos.

In the first photo he is at the back of a small craft at sea. I'm not sure what type of sea craft this is, but from the photo it doesn't appear to be very large (possibly patrol boat of some sort?). Has a single chevron (rank) visible on his left arm, and what appears to be a dark hat in his left hand.

The other two photos are from his Luftwaffe service.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi Bryang,
    I don't know much about Navy uniforms etc but the Luftwaffe fliegerbluse has Unteroffizier rank (junior sergeant), what appears to be a Hitler Youth badge (which most people of his age probably joined), and possibly a ribbon for 4 years service in the Wehrmacht. His trousers might be field grey, they look a slightly different colour to the jacket, which means they might be Fallschirmjager trousers? Other more knowledgeable people than me might chime in at some point?

I hope you find the letter etc, so many sad stories in war....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X