Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS camp guards?

Possibly.

The problem with identifying camp guards is they wore the same uniform as the TK division. The brown shoulder piping was not widely worn and troops from the TK division were posted in and out of the camp system.

The obvious is the peaked caps have a coloured piping rather than white. Not sure what colour? The shoulder boards aren't piped white.

The collars are pre war / early war dark green and they all have the luxury of wearing a peaked cap which wasn't common for junior nco's apart form one man and all look smart, the old fighter unterscharfuhrer with a tailored tunic (I think?).

There are no combat awards which point towards early war or non front line troops.

They don't wear a cuff title (which again was common enough for TK didvision as well as camp guards).

From a personal thought with little factual basis, a couple are of an age to be in a more active role if they are camp guards. The women in the photo don't add or detract from if they are or are not.
    They could as easily be admin clerks from the Tk division, an training section for a non-infantry branch on a day out, etc, but I think they are conected to the camps.

(The German shephard certainly isn't an attack dog!).

Regards,
    Chris.
    Last edited by chrischa; 09-05-2014, 03:15 AM. Reason: I got my fuhrer's wrong!

Comment

Thank you Chris for taking the time to give me a detailed explanation of your thoughts on this photo!

Comment

It's more than just the TK division but the whole totenkopfverbÀnde which also included the TK standarten which went on to form various W-SS units, like the Nord division.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
          It's more than just the TK division but the whole totenkopfverbÀnde which also included the TK standarten which went on to form various W-SS units, like the Nord division.
          Hello Simon. Absolutely.
          Some of the TK units were identifiable with numerals on the tabs and boards which is why I losely used the term TK division.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackWatch1 View Post
            Thank you Chris for taking the time to give me a detailed explanation of your thoughts on this photo!
            No problem chum.

Wait for someone to come along and give and give a certain answer.

Cheers,
            Chris.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X