Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteer to fight in Russia ?

Hi all,

I've just bought these items on a flea market in North of France, near Belgium.
    The seller told me that the guy on documents was a belgian soldier. Then he was a volunteer to fight with german troops in Russia. He was KIA on East front.
    Have you an advice about the photos ( and also this story )
    Cheers
    Pierre

Pic1 - Belgian soldiers ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2 - censored letter to her mother

Comment

Pic 3 - Photo and Remembrance card

Comment

Pic4 - annoucement
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Pierre,
            This story makes sense to me.
            If so, I think he should have belonged to the "Legion Wallonie": here's a link with some information about that: http://www.geocities.com/narwa44/article1.htm
            I think that you should go and ask some other members of this forum who are specialized in Belgian collaboration. Many of them are active in the following thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=26867 ... just go and ask ! I'm sure they will be able to tell you more than I do. Hope this helps.
            BR,
            Tim

Comment

Thanks a lot for help, Tim !

Comment

Pierre,
                I'm afraid this man had nothing to do with either Flemish or any other sort of collaboration. Look at the town from which he was from; Manderfeld. Manderfeld is, today, indeed Belgian territory but the inhabitans still speak German as this area is the "Ostkanton". After WWI, Belgium got a piece of Germany for being part of the victors. Manderfeld is located in this small area. After the invasion of May 1940, Germany simply took it back and as such, the inhabitans were subject to possible draft in the Wehrmacht. That's what happened here. So it's a bit complicated to understand perhaps, but as you can see from the name, uniform and place of death he was not related to the concept of "collaboration".

Comment

No trace of this soldier in the volksbund site... Is it because he was not a german guy ?

Comment

Originally posted by PIERRE.H
                    No trace of this soldier in the volksbund site... Is it because he was not a german guy ?
                    No, I've already seen some Belgian volunteers in the database too.
                    Probably his body was never burried or he is burried at a cemetary in the East who don't keep records.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X