Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A KM photo

Hi,

Thought I'd share an interesting pic from a KM photoalbum which arrived today. The sailor seems to have served on a small Flak ship/barge at one time. Pictured below is another Flak ship/barge (F 617) passing his ship/barge (F 615). Nothing interesting in that, but then...
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

....I noticed something in the background!

Regards
    Mike K

PS: can anybody identify the port/location - possibly Stettin?
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Med or black sea i would have thought.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K
        ....I noticed something in the background!

Regards
        Mike K

PS: can anybody identify the port/location - possibly Stettin?
        a carrier?

Comment

Originally posted by gilles
          a carrier?
          That looks indeed like a carrier
          Kind regards,
          Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

First Thing I was thinking of to when I saw this pic!
            Interesting.....

Cheers
            Øyvind

Comment

The only thing that make's any sense to me is that it's a japanese carrier.

Comment

I looked again and again to the pic and the carrier looks more and more to an american carrier

Comment

Hi,

Guys, yes it appears to be a carrier. The profile matches the Graf Zeppelin, with the bow to the left. The carrier was never completed, but it was never actually scrapped and was finally sunk post-war by the Russians.

Here's a link which shows the profile;

http://www.german-navy.de/smb/scalem...n/history.html

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K
                    Hi,

Guys, yes it appears to be a carrier. The profile matches the Graf Zeppelin, with the bow to the left. The carrier was never completed, but it was never actually scrapped and was finally sunk post-war by the Russians.

Here's a link which shows the profile;

http://www.german-navy.de/smb/scalem...n/history.html

Regards
                    Mike

Sorry but to me that carrier doesn't look like the Graf Zeppelin !
                    Also this carrier looks more completed than the Graf Zeppelin ever was !
                    The Graf Zeppelin wasn't in the Mediterranean, and for the background .....also not german, but maybe there is some-one around who knows a german coast with such a view, please let me know where to find it !

yours
                    Eric-Jan Bakker

Comment

Originally posted by Eric JB

Sorry but to me that carrier doesn't look like the Graf Zeppelin !
                      Also this carrier looks more completed than the Graf Zeppelin ever was !
                      The Graf Zeppelin wasn't in the Mediterranean, and for the background .....also not german, but maybe there is some-one around who knows a german coast with such a view, please let me know where to find it !

yours
                      Eric-Jan Bakker

ps, just had a look at the model on the linked site.
                      looks really different to the scanned photo, check the tower, not even
                      close, but also very different.

yours
                      Eric-Jan

Comment

I dont see it as the Graf Zepplin eithher, the drawing on the KM link shows the funnel as the highest part of it, where as the photo looks more like an American superstructure, as for Japanese, most of their carriers were flush decked for the most part. after looking at some of my books, it looks a little like the "Shinano" which was to have been the 3rd Yamato class BB. Note what looks like the tall straight funnel.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Laurence Strong; 11-19-2004, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Well, if someone can explain how a wartime picture of a small german (coastal) flak barge which, in other images in the set, clearly has a swastika painted on a flak "turret" and is flying the KM kriegsflag has ended up in Japan, I'd love to hear it.

Re the superstructure profile, be careful not to confuse it with the buildings in the background and also the smoke plume.

Regards
                          Mike K
                          Regards
                          Mike

Comment

Yes that would be a good question. The Photo is not the best, however the Plume/funnel seems to angular or rigid to be a smoke plume in my opinion, and the houses in the back ground all seem to be various shades of white! Go fiqure, it's anyone's guess really, until someone can id both the carrier and the local.

Comment

I believe the USS Yorktown (?) made a trip to the Baltic @1937. A couple of months back Rick White sold a KM album that had American sailors in it from a carrier and its escourts, including African-Americans.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X