help with translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with translation

i would appreciate some assistance in translating some short text on attached documents. On the tax form I am interested in the names of children and the phases to the right of names. In particular child 2 which could be Franz but surname does not look like Wurz (which is the other children) and the words before 20.5.41. Franz landed in Crete as Fallshirmjager. thanks for any assistance, regards graeme
    Attached Files

I will try it:

Child 2 I read

"Franziskus" * 16.8.21 - Kind - Soldat - vermisst seit dem 20.5.41 "

The entry of Franziskus does not show a family name.

Gerdan

Comment

You also wanted to know the names of the other two children:

1) Catarina Würz

3) Alfons Würz * 8.6.30 - Kind - ständig zu Hause - Volksschüler

Gerdan

Comment

thank you, this solves a lot of questions, Franz - soldier 'missing since 20/5/41', likely KIA on day 1 crete. Could you help with words on second image (photo), thanks graeme

Comment

This letter was sent to Franz's father (Johann) after Crete, it would be appreciated if I could get the details of sender from back of letter and translation of letter. thanks graeme
          Attached Files

Comment

" O.U., 19.8.41

Werter Herr Würz !

da es heute Abend meine Zeit erlaubt, möchte ich Ihnen mitteilen, dass Ihr Sohn Franz nicht unserem Regiment angehört und es mir deshalb nicht möglich ist, etwas von ihm zu erfahren.
            Wie ich heute erfuhr, kommen wir in nächster Zeit auf ein Truppenübungsplatz. Vielleicht ist es mir dann möglich, von Kol(l)egen aus anderen Einheiten etwas von Ihrem Sohn zu erfahren.
            Heil Hitler
            Kurt Antes"

Abs.: Ogfr. K. Antes - L 37206 Lg. Post Berlin.

Gerdan

Comment

Gerdan, thank you for your help. Google translate is not perfect and you might correct if the translation is in error:
              Dear Mr. Wurz!

evening as it allows my time today, I would like to inform you that your son Franz does not belong to our regiment and it is therefore not possible for me to learn something from him.
              As I learned today, we come in the near future on a military training area. Maybe it's me then possible to learn from von Kol(l)egen from other units something of your son.
              Heil Hitler
              Kurt Antes

I would also appreciate translation of words on back of photo in first post, thank you, regards graeme

Comment

photo

Could you please show the photo as the writing is terrible and I have part of it perhaps but need to see what it's describing.

Comment

photo

I believe it says "Scharfschiessen auf der Heide".

Comment

Feldpost L 37206 in my DRK Vermisstenbildliste - Band II shows Fallschirmjaeger Rgt 2, 2 KP

By the way there is a pinned translation thread under the Photos and Paper Forum

Cheers

Bill

Comment

It could be 'sharp shooting on the heath'? photo front attached.

I did not understand the what this means, Feldpost L 37206 in my DRK Vermisstenbildliste - Band II shows Fallschirmjaeger Rgt 2, 2 KP
                      Antes was from Rgt 2? in particular Band II, 2KP?

It seems odd that Franz's father did not know the fate of his son, Franz was awarded EK2 on 28/5/41, surely the father would have been told what happened to his son? Yet in 1942 he put 'missing' on tax form.

Yes I will used pinned 'trnslate' in future, regards graeme
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is the official entry for the Feldpostnummer L 37206:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 2. Kompanie Fallschirmjager-Regiment 2,
                        (1.3.1942-7.9.1942) gestrichen, wurde Fp.Nr. 36995 C
                        (12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Nachschub-Zug 1056
                        (8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 26.2.1944 Nachschub-Zug 147.

Gerdan

Comment

Graeme,

On the letter you have is written the Feldpost number which identifies the unit the soldier is assigned.

The German Red Cross published a large amount of books that contained photos and information on Soldiers from all branches of the German Military which also included Military Government agencies and other organizations under the German control who were reported as missing after the war ended. When anyone who was missing were found it was annotated in the book.

The book I quoted is one of two books (Band I & Band II) I have that lists only Feldpost numbers with the units identified that were assigned those numbers.

Bill

Originally posted by gwatty View Post
                          It could be 'sharp shooting on the heath'? photo front attached.

I did not understand the what this means, Feldpost L 37206 in my DRK Vermisstenbildliste - Band II shows Fallschirmjaeger Rgt 2, 2 KP
                          Antes was from Rgt 2? in particular Band II, 2KP?

It seems odd that Franz's father did not know the fate of his son, Franz was awarded EK2 on 28/5/41, surely the father would have been told what happened to his son? Yet in 1942 he put 'missing' on tax form.

Yes I will used pinned 'trnslate' in future, regards graeme

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X