Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Notice

Hello,

I have a very quick question about this notice... Please note that I do not collect these and have ZERO experience with them!

It is for a 21-year-old soldier called Ludwig Leopold (von Schwarzenberg). I thought that his surname was von Schwarzenberg (a member of a prominent noble family), but he does not figure in the Gotha! So, is his surname Leopold?

He died on October 10, 1944 in Italy (Cormano, near Milan) and was born on May 17, 1923...

Thanks for any info!

M.
    Attached Files

His surname was Leopold and he was a resident of Schwarzenberg.

Comment

His name does not appear anywhere in the blood line of Von Schwarzenberg so the reference von Schwarzenberg could mean he is from the town/village of Schwarzenberg in Sachsen Ex-DDR.

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post
      Hello,

I have a very quick question about this notice... Please note that I do not collect these and have ZERO experience with them!

It is for a 21-year-old soldier called Ludwig Leopold (von Schwarzenberg). I thought that his surname was von Schwarzenberg (a member of a prominent noble family), but he does not figure in the Gotha! So, is his surname Leopold?

He died on October 10, 1944 in Italy (Cormano, near Milan) and was born on May 17, 1923...

Thanks for any info!

M.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
        His surname was Leopold and he was a resident of Schwarzenberg.
        Yes, I agree

Comment

And he is listed as Leopold Ludwig in the Volksbund list:

Ludwig Leopold

Ludwig Leopold ruht auf der KriegsgräberstätteMilitary cemetery Futa Pass (Italy)

Endgrablage: Block 31 Grab 782

Nachname: Leopold
          Vorname: Ludwig
          Dienstgrad: Unteroffizier
          Geburtsdatum: 17.05.1923
          Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 19.10.1944

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzenberg,_Saxony

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
            And he is listed as Leopold Ludwig in the Volksbund list:

Ludwig Leopold

Ludwig Leopold ruht auf der KriegsgräberstätteMilitary cemetery Futa Pass (Italy)

Endgrablage: Block 31 Grab 782

Nachname: Leopold
            Vorname: Ludwig
            Dienstgrad: Unteroffizier
            Geburtsdatum: 17.05.1923
            Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 19.10.1944

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzenberg,_Saxony

Gerdan
            THANK YOU TO ALL!

Fantastic info. Sadly not a member of the Royal House of Schwarzenberg...

Any chance someone would know the unit he served with? Was there even any fighting around Milan in October 1944?
            Last edited by lohengrin; 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post
              THANK YOU TO ALL!

Fantastic info. Sadly not a member of the Royal House of Schwarzenberg...

Any chance someone would know the unit he served with? Was there even any fighting around Milan in October 1944?
              Milan in October 1944 was far from any front (allied or partisans) in the war in Italy, but Cormano was very close to large industrial area of Sesto San Giovanni, who has suffered and continuous bombings , then it is very likely that he died in one of these (in October 20th, under Allied bombing 614 civilians died including 184 children with their teachers under their school, near Cormano, in Gorla )....
              Last edited by mufasa; 04-21-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
                Milan in October 1944 was far from any front (allied or partisans) in the war in Italy, but Cormano was very close to large industrial area of Sesto San Giovanni, who has suffered and continuous bombings , then it is very likely that he died in one of these (in October 20th, under Allied bombing 614 civilians died including 184 children with their teachers under their school)....
                Thank you!

I did not know that... Unfortunately, most of the time events like these (which could be regarded as war crimes by the Allies) are unknown to the outsiders...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X