Value of Mein Kampf Volks edition with dust cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value of Mein Kampf Volks edition with dust cover

Looking at this one, it was said to be a vet bring back, the writing in the cover looks like felt pen so it must be more recent. The book looks like its an original and is said to be in good condition missing no parts. With dust cover what is a MK in this condition worth?

Last edited by brock; 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM.

Not knowing exactly, I'll just toss out maybe $50...they're really not too rare (this basic edition), even with dust cover. The age-spots & writing in the book probably detract from the value.

best
    Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Writing in the cover could have been done with a fountain pen, could be from 1945. I would say $75-$100 for this.

Comment

Photo of the Hitler photo, question, there is no onion skin protector and the seller says it does not look like there ever was one, Also no date on the page opposite to the photo. Just an Eagle Swastika. Is this a different book then the volks edition I see all the time? Would it still be Nazi era printing?

Comment

If I let this one go, seller asking 139 for it, were is a good place to look for a nice volks copy?

Comment

Hi,

This is a "later" Volksausgabe, later than 1941 anyway, because it's printed in the Antiqua font instead of Fraktur (the old Germanic font). On January 3, 1941 Bormann issued a decree that documents and books had to be printed in Antiqua (Roman) font because the Gothic (Fraktur) font had been determined to be "Jewish." The generally accepted idea was that non-Germanic peoples in the newly-occupied countries couldn't read the Fraktur font, so German items needed to be printed in what they could read.

Anyway, the decree said that as soon as possible book presses had to change fonts, and this applied to Mein Kampf as well. This one even has the dust jacket title in a block font.

These later editions did not come with the onion skin sheet after Hitler's photo. There should be a printing date on the page on the back of the title page.

You may find them cheaper in antique stores etc, but comparing to Ebay and Abebooks (where I think MK are somewhat overpriced), $139 wouldn't be too much for this one with the DJ.

Best,
            Greg
            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

I agree that $139 is not over the top if you plan to keep it and want to cross this off your want list.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                Hi,

This is a "later" Volksausgabe, later than 1941 anyway, because it's printed in the Antiqua font instead of Fraktur (the old Germanic font). On January 3, 1941 Bormann issued a decree that documents and books had to be printed in Antiqua (Roman) font because the Gothic (Fraktur) font had been determined to be "Jewish." The generally accepted idea was that non-Germanic peoples in the newly-occupied countries couldn't read the Fraktur font, so German items needed to be printed in what they could read.

Anyway, the decree said that as soon as possible book presses had to change fonts, and this applied to Mein Kampf as well. This one even has the dust jacket title in a block font.

These later editions did not come with the onion skin sheet after Hitler's photo. There should be a printing date on the page on the back of the title page.

You may find them cheaper in antique stores etc, but comparing to Ebay and Abebooks (where I think MK are somewhat overpriced), $139 wouldn't be too much for this one with the DJ.

Best,
                Greg
                Good info thanks. The seller sent me a message saying that the date is 922.-926. Auflage/ 9208.-9257. Tausend/ 1944

Comment

I'd have to look up in some data I have at home to see how relatively late in 1944 that is. I've personally never seen a Mein Kampf that was printed in 1945, but I imagine there are some around.

Best,
                  Greg
                  sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                  www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

You will find them overhere in Europe For around 80-100 euro.

Comment

Originally posted by starikurac View Post
                      You will find them overhere in Europe For around 80-100 euro.
                      in the US about $150.00, depending on condition

Comment

Interesting way Hitler spelled his name and date of death on inside cover.
                        Jeff

Comment

What is the ASN number, would the be British Army Service number?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X