General Dietl postcard with signature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Dietl postcard with signature

Here is a postcard of General Dietl that I just acquired. There is a signature on the front in blue ink. I'm not sure if it's his or not. Opinions welcome. Card does not glow under black light so I believe it to be of the period.
    Attached Files

Scan of signature
    Attached Files

Comment

Does not look like an original signature to me.....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
        Does not look like an original signature to me.....Bodes
        I agree

Comment

Dietl

It is a stamp signature in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            It is a stamp signature in my opinion.
            yes, I think so to

Comment

Examining the signature under a bright light and magnifying glass, I would say that it was done with a fountain pen as there dark and light areas in the lines of the signature rather than a solid dark line that a rubber stamp would make. The signature is almost identical to the one printed at the top of the card. I assume that if there was a rubber stamp with his signature, it would be exactly like the one printed on the card. I found other examples of his signature on some other threads, which have many of the same characteristics as the one on this card. I can't say for sure that is a 100% original signature other than the card came with a bunch of other German cards all of which were all pre 1945. More opinions are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
                Examining the signature under a bright light and magnifying glass, I would say that it was done with a fountain pen as there dark and light areas in the lines of the signature rather than a solid dark line that a rubber stamp would make. The signature is almost identical to the one printed at the top of the card. I assume that if there was a rubber stamp with his signature, it would be exactly like the one printed on the card. I found other examples of his signature on some other threads, which have many of the same characteristics as the one on this card. I can't say for sure that is a 100% original signature other than the card came with a bunch of other German cards all of which were all pre 1945. More opinions are welcome.
                I don't believe it's a rubber stamp either.....Instead I believe the facsimile of his signature was copied along with the post card.....The reason I say that, is the consistency shown in the signature is not typical of an original....It doesn't show the variation in hand pressure associated with such.....I also see areas of white specking in the writing itself.....An imperfection in the printing process....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
                  I don't believe it's a rubber stamp either.....Instead I believe the facsimile of his signature was copied along with the post card.....The reason I say that, is the consistency shown in the signature is not typical of an original....It doesn't show the variation in hand pressure associated with such.....I also see areas of white specking in the writing itself.....An imperfection in the printing process....Bodes
                  The card itself is definitely pre 1945. If the signature is actually printed, I can't say your wrong or right. I don't have a large investment in it. If the card was printed with the signature, there must be duplicates out there. I'll have to be on the lookout to see if another one shows up. If one or more does show up with the same signature in the same place, then I would say that your analysis was correct. I will consider the signature as questionable for now. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Here's another one, but signature looks darker and more like what I expect of an original.....Bodes

Comment

I examined my card with a loup. I observed that the printing is made up of tiny dots which are identical to the printing on cards that I have that have been feld posted. The blue ink signature does not have the tiny dots except in those areas where the ink was thinner exposing the dots in the picture. Therefore, I believe that it was written rather than printed. Quite possibly, the pen used was low on ink. The signatures on my card seem to be nearly the same as the example provided. It doesn't have to be exact as no one's signature is always exactly the same. I'm not a handwriting expert so I can't claim that it is definitely Dietl who signed my card or the example provided. The good thing about these things is that it keeps your brain working,almost like being one of those history detectives that you see on TV.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X