Exotic "Leopard Skin" Helmet.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic "Leopard Skin" Helmet.....

I'll (eventually) post / reveal more about this (heavily cropped) photo, but from what you see, what is your interpretation / take on things here ???

"Hundestaffel"
    Attached Files

Fingerprints?

Comment

Originally posted by IchHattEinenKameraden View Post
      Fingerprints?
      I could go along with that, I want to see more!

Kevin

Comment

"Leopard Skin"

Field made camo. In my opinion.
        mikeburch

Comment

Strange to see on a "beaded" Luftschutz type helmet, but I think it's camo. Tom

Comment

That's not a luftschutz, see how the band is hooked under the back stud.
            Pretty weird style of winter camo but i see the point. Unless you are out on the steppes or above the tree line you dont want solid white as your camo.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
              That's not a luftschutz, see how the band is hooked under the back stud.
              Pretty weird style of winter camo but i see the point. Unless you are out on the steppes or above the tree line you dont want solid white as your camo.
              It's a Luftschutz...If you look at some you will see this is common. I have one like it in my collection. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                It's a Luftschutz...If you look at some you will see this is common. I have one like it in my collection. Tom
                There is a beautiful example for sale now on the estand. Check it out, the bead is under the rivet. so the one in this pic is either an M-35 or M-40 beaded type helmet. Tom

Comment

By way of private e-mail, a specific WAF member has provided me with what I believe to be a very accurate and interesting interpretation / explanation to this photo - hopefully he decides to post his theory here....until then, it would be interesting to read what others have to say about this (now shown complete) photo....

"Hundestaffel"
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is stupid....lets just see the pic

Comment

I would bet that this photo was taken on 15 September 1949 when Konrad Adenauer was inaugurated as the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany:

http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/...?image_id=1021

This man has assembled his own military uniform and made a sign that reads "The First Soldier of the Federal Government." The helmet is an M-35 or M-40 beaded Luftschutz (Civil Defense) helmet that the man probably "camouflaged" (if the helmet were camouflaged during the war, it would be worth a lot, and I wouldn't rule it out). The overcoat and belt could be WWII German, the shoulderboard could be Russian, and the rifle is probably an air gun.

When Hitler declared war on Poland in 1939, he called himself "The First Soldier of the German Reich" and began wearing a special uniform jacket from that point till the end of the war. The man wearing the improvised uniform was no doubt making a joke out of Hitler's statement. What I think we're seeing is a celebration in the streets when Adenauer was inaugurated.

Barry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X