X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gurning German

Well i thought it was only us Brits who Gurnnnnned
    Attached Files

What the hell is Gurning ???????? Never heard that before ?????

Comment

Yes, enlighten us.
      Wilhelm

Comment

Gurning contests are a rural English tradition. By far the most notable is that held annually at the Egremont Crab Fair, which dates back to 1267 when King Henry III granted the fair a Royal Charter.The origins of the gurning competition itself are unclear, and may not be so old, although it was described as an ancient tradition by local newspaper the Cumberland Paquet in 1852..The competitions are held regularly in some villages, with contestants traditionally framing their faces through a horse collar -- known as "gurnin' through a braffin'."The World Gurning Championship takes place annually at the same crab fair in Egremont, Cumbria. Those with the greatest gurn capabilities are often those with no teeth, as this provides greater room to move the jaw further up. In some cases, the elderly or otherwise toothless can be capable of spectacular gurns covering the entire nose.

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
          Gurning contests are a rural English tradition. By far the most notable is that held annually at the Egremont Crab Fair, which dates back to 1267 when King Henry III granted the fair a Royal Charter.The origins of the gurning competition itself are unclear, and may not be so old, although it was described as an ancient tradition by local newspaper the Cumberland Paquet in 1852..The competitions are held regularly in some villages, with contestants traditionally framing their faces through a horse collar -- known as "gurnin' through a braffin'."The World Gurning Championship takes place annually at the same crab fair in Egremont, Cumbria. Those with the greatest gurn capabilities are often those with no teeth, as this provides greater room to move the jaw further up. In some cases, the elderly or otherwise toothless can be capable of spectacular gurns covering the entire nose.
          Well I must say you're never to old to learn ! Thanks, Tom

Comment

Great pic Dragnet.
            I always wondered what the horse collar was all about.
            BTW. Gurning or "Girning" is also an Ulster Scots colloquialism for crying or wingeing eg. "Quit yer Gurnin' wee lad!"...it probably originates from screwing one's face up whilst crying.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sat down with my first cup of tea and ive just had a chuckle from the two posted added by fellow members Petz and Grey, im glad its only found here in Britian, makes me sort of proud

Comment

Trust me. Gurning is alive and well in the United States.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X