Adolf Eichmann Signed checks/checkbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf Eichmann Signed checks/checkbook

What do you guys think of these? In my research (and I could be wrong) Eichmann's signature seems like it is virtually unobtainable. These seem pretty neat. Think they are legit? They seem to be selling like hot cakes over there as well as the interesting Heydrich signed stuff (another difficult signature to get) Anyone here actually have something signed by Eichmann?

http://www.od43.com/1940_Eichmann_signed_Checks_RB.html

Well I must say they look convincing. However I would like to hear from others and see if you could find other signatures for comparison. Far to often there is a "rush" to buy on items like these and far to often they prove in the end to be fakes. Tom

Comment

I agree with Tom, you have done the proper thing in posting BEFORE buying, Eichmann's signature is a rare one indeed. look around the site and get a feel for what they offer, lots of rare items! are there questionable items? and as with ANY item do your homework before spending your money.

A quick google search for his sig here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Adol...w=1366&bih=577

as with anything on the net view these examples with suspicion and look at the source. Good Luck!

Kev

Comment

Thanks....I appreciate it! From what I understand the people selling this have a good reputation. Of course that doesn't make them immune from getting duped by a forger.

I think the signature looks pretty close..it is definitely more "informal" looking on the checks which I guess would make sense vs signing a document.....but I am not an expert and I know there are some amazing forgeries out there.

Comment

While I've never had an interest in Adolf Eichmann or in collecting his signature -- possibly because I lived through his trial when I was a high school student and it left quite an impression upon me -- it seems to me that, given the nature of his career as a bureaucrat in the structure of the SD, his signature should be easy to find...but I also know that it rarely shows up at autograph auctions or on dealers' lists and when it does, it commands relatively high prices. So the prices being asked for checks written in 1940 and signed by SS-Hauptsturmführer/SS-Sturmbannführer Eichmann don't appear to be inflated above what I've seen elsewhere over time.

But what does appear different is the signature itself, when compared with those found in the reference works by Charles Hamilton and Emilie Caldwell Stewart. The signature examples found on the checks all appear unified, meaning that Eichmann was signing his name as one continuous motion in 1940 -- and here we know that, over time, handwriting and signatures can and do often change, with Hitler's signature being an example of that change. But both Hamilton and Stewart show us a segmented signature, one with "Eichm" and "ann" separated from each other. One would expect that in writing such reference books, the authors would have seen a number of samples of each person's signature and have chosen one or two exemplary examples for publication. Hamilton provides two examples, one dated in 1934 and the other in 1962, and both examples show this segmentation, just as the undated sample in Stewart's book does. This seems to me to have been an established mannerism of his signature throughout much of his adult lifetime. For that reason, I would see these checks as possible future problems in terms of questionable authenticity; after all, we live in a difficult world, don't we?

Br. James

Comment

Thanks James.

I agree, and I don't like that about it. Not a single real example shows the M and the A attached.

Also on the checks there are some where the H and the M are detached instead. That could be cause for concern.

I think it would be pretty hard to fake something like this, and they could be real. But I think that point alone might raise enough reasonable doubt to not purchase the items.

Comment

Thanks, my friend. As we know, we are each only the 'brief caretakers of historical documentation and artifacts,' for one day we will all have to sell our collections...like it or not! When that time comes, it is preferable not to be offering items that cause questions to arise, and thus overshadow necessary sales.

And by the way, Welcome among us!

Br. James

Comment

Thanks James for the welcome. It refreshing to be in a judgement free zone. I think most people outside the hobby seem to think that because you collect it, you must automatically agree with/admire the person you are collecting. Which couldn't be further from the truth. People are up in arms about George Zimmerman signing autographs at a gun show......if only they knew....

I agree, one day they will certainly be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by kahle33 View Post
                  Thanks....I appreciate it! From what I understand the people selling this have a good reputation. Of course that doesn't make them immune from getting duped by a forger.

I think the signature looks pretty close..it is definitely more "informal" looking on the checks which I guess would make sense vs signing a document.....but I am not an expert and I know there are some amazing forgeries out there.
                  The DKIS they have on their site would not give me any confidence. It seems to be a clear fake.

Comment

Originally posted by DBRoyal View Post
                    The DKIS they have on their site would not give me any confidence. It seems to be a clear fake.
                    okay, thanks. Although I have heard from an expert in this field that they are a top notch seller. Doesn't mean they didn't get duped by a fake.

I agree that the signature is off. Its possible Eichmann could have signed his checkbook differently than documents, and there are certainly similarities in handwriting. Who knows. Since there are SOOO few Eichmann docs, must question it for sure.

Comment

Also the CCCiS is a fake..

Comment

But they are selling some very rare and interesting original books

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X