The platterhof hotel mid 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The platterhof hotel mid 1945

Neat old capture photo... Did the Germans try and camouflage the roofs from bombings??
    Attached Files

I've never heard that they tried to camo them. Great photo ! Tom

Comment

Nets

Hi,
      I've definitely seen a picture somewhere of Hitler's house with camouflage netting on it, late war I think. Perhaps they did the same for the Platterhof, it would make sense.

Comment

Yes, they used a camouflage net.
        I was there last year and it's still possible to find the stripes from the net.

Comment

pic

pic
          Attached Files

Comment

I would imagine that all of the buildings that comprised the Obersalzberg Administration compound were camouflaged in some way; the entire compound was also protected by smoke generators and heavy AA batteries.

Br. James

Comment

I was just curious, as it looked like the roofs in the background had some kind of netting or something on them??

Comment

Many of the Obersalzberg buildings had camouflage patterns painted on the walls, as well as the camo nets on the roofs. Mithrandir is right - you can still find pieces of the camouflage netting, but it's not as common as it used to be. Several years ago I found a section that still had the plastic pieces attached to the wiring, about 3x10 feet.

Comment

Here's my bit
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SOLDAT1 View Post
                    Here's my bit
                    Keitel & ??? Very nice Tom

Comment

Great display! The pieces with the "scrapbook edge" cut are hard to find.

The officer with Keitel was Gen. Walter Warlimont.

Comment

Hi Geoff
                        Thanks for the compliment! And the info on the scrapbook edge pieces.

Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X