British 5£ note - German made in WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British 5£ note - German made in WWII?

If this is the wrong place/section for these Things, then please move the thread, thank you in advance.

Hi there...normally I am only roaming arund in the crosses section of this forum, and seldom looks in the others sub forums, which is actually is a shame.

Well, a friend of mine lost her parents last year, and she and her Brother and sister is still in the process of emptying the house. Her parents collected a lt of really interesting stuff, and this is where I need your help, with a few paper/postcard items.

She found some British £m and she suspect that they might be from the German attampt to undermine the British economy in WW II.

I will post 4 scans of the 4 5£ notes, they are from 1935, 1936, 1937 and 1938. She got 25 5£ notes from 1935, 14 from 1936, 18 from 1937 and 25 from 1938.

I will also post a few Pictures of some postard showing Danish Konservative, and their attempt to collect Money.

Now to posting the Pictures.

First up is the £ note from 1935 and 1936

/Flemming
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Flemming; 03-07-2014, 06:30 AM.

The Next 2 5 £ notes.

/Flemming
    Attached Files

Comment

The 3 postcard front and back

/Flemming
      Attached Files

Comment

The cover to the postcards, front and inside.

Also, if it is possible, could you estimate a value of the Things posted here, as I will try to buy some it, and I will offer her a fair a Price, and she is one of my really good friends.

Thank you all for looking, and replaying.

Best regards
        Flemming
        Attached Files

Comment

Are you sure there fakes and not real British notes

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
            Are you sure there fakes and not real British notes
            I am not sure of anything regarding these.
            Also as fas as I remember, the fakes were actually of rather good quality.

The reason why she suspect them to be from the German attempt to undermine the UK econmi is because they were found together with book "Mein Kampf" which dates back to 1934 or 1935.

The book is in ok condition, and I got for helping her with other things.
            The cool thing about that book, is that there seems to be a dedication in it, and a newspaper clip, about a man, whose initials match the ones in the dedication.

/Flemming

Comment

No one have any info or experinece with these things, or did I post them in the wrong sub-forum?

/Flemming

Comment

Hi,
                I would really like a note but if there fake and I could not tell the difference I can not own one in the UK.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
                  Hi,
                  I would really like a note but if there fake and I could not tell the difference I can not own one in the UK.
                  Mark
                  True. The Bank of England still seize and destroy counterfeit notes of any age. This is a real interesting subject. Thanks to the OP for posting it. The following Link to Operation Bernhard is real interesting even if it is from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bernhard

Comment

I was really hoping that there would be a way to tell them apart, if they were from Operation Bernhard.

But there's no doubt in my mind, that the 5£ notes were part of this counterfeit.

Guess that this is a case where we actually would never know, if these are the real deal, or part of this piece of history.

/Flemming

Comment

I have found a website that has an ongoing search for Dates and prefixes for the bank notes from Operation Bernhard.

There I can actually find some of the Prefix (A XXX) and the firstt wo digits of the serial number.
                      http://www.britishnotes.co.uk/news_a.../peppiatt5.php
                      So I would actually assume that the notes infact are from Operation Bernhard.

Would you Guys agree?

/Flemming

PS I can get more scans from the some of the other 5 £ Notes that she found. But I think it would be of no reason to post all 82 5 £ notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Flemming View Post
                        I have found a website that has an ongoing search for Dates and prefixes for the bank notes from Operation Bernhard.

There I can actually find some of the Prefix (A XXX) and the firstt wo digits of the serial number.
                        http://www.britishnotes.co.uk/news_a.../peppiatt5.php
                        So I would actually assume that the notes infact are from Operation Bernhard.

Would you Guys agree?

/Flemming

PS I can get more scans from the some of the other 5 £ Notes that she found. But I think it would be of no reason to post all 82 5 £ notes.
                        The Bank of England have a museum. If you contacted them and could see your way clear of sending them one of the notes I wonder if they would confirm whether or not it is counterfeit?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X