captured RAF pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

captured RAF pilot

I bought this photo thinking that it was of a few happy Luftwaffe types, but was delighted to find, when it was delivered, that it was of a recently captured RAF flyer. I thought some of you would be interested in seeing it, I have not seen a lot of photos like it. My guess would be very early war, there does not seem to be any animosity on either side.
    I hope you enjoy the picture. I am sure that I will never be able to identify the pilot, but it is still a nice unusual shot,
    Kerry
    Attached Files

It does have a summer 1940 feel to it, perhaps even 1941.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Very unique foto. a different perspective look of the face of war. thanks for sharing this .

Comment

Very interesting photo Kerry

Bono

Comment

IMO Battle of Britain period for sure. Tom

Comment

Airman is possibly happy to be alive if he`s been shot down.

Cheers
            Ian

Comment

Clipped wings.

A great photo Kerry, a nice find. You're right in that you'll probably never know the identity of the pilot, were any other photos to identify the location or Luft unit??

Being captured i'm sure would have saved his life, no wonder he's happy!!

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I am sure that he is so happy to have "cheated" death, but he faced an unimagined length of time in a prisoner of war camp. I had the thought that it may have been taken during the Battle of France, few RAF pilots were brought down over continental Europe during the Battle of Britain, although, doubtless some did chase their prey too far out over the Channel and beyond. Sadly this was just one photo, with no helpful inscription.
                Thanks again,
                Kerry.

Comment

Could it be a Luftwaffe pilot horsing around in an RAF uniform? He just seems too happy. Notice that all the other Luftwaffe guys are smiling, too.

Jason

Comment

He is wearing pilot's wings and has his top button undone. This was a tradition of fighter pilots to have the top button undone.

I have seen photos similar to this before of captured RAF crew being entertained by their LW hosts and no animosity. I'll try and find an example later.

No, it's not a LW flyer dressed in RAF uniform.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X