Woman in unknown uniform...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woman in unknown uniform...

Can anyone tell me what type of jacket is it?

Pre or post WW2? SS?

Thank you,

Mark
    Attached Files

Obviously clowning for the camera while out walking her dog.

She is giving the British saute I wonder if it is an old Tommy uniform?

It has 5 buttons but the bottom pockets are not right for WW1 could be Australian they had different bottom pockets?

Comment

I do not believe it is a British tunic, but a German M36 of some form. Note also the roundel on the cap. I think it is a stripped other-ranks issue tunic, no breast eagle or collar "litzen". As to whether it is Wehrmacht or SS, one of the main differences, in general, is the number of eyelets for the belt-support hooks, two in the case of SS, three for Wehrmacht. Of course, as everything in uniform issue, it is not 100%, but a reasonable rule-of-thumb. Unfortunately the photo is not clear enough to identify clearly. This comes as just the opinion of someone who is far from being an expert, but I believe it is accurate.
      Kerry.

Comment

Looks German made to me also.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help! Fantastic info...

Here is M36 for comparison... A fairly close match! Existed also in SS-version!

Source: https://atthefront.com/german/unifor...Tunic_main.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like she is wearing her boyfriend's cap and jacket for a fun photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
              Looks like she is wearing her boyfriend's cap and jacket for a fun photo.
              That is possible, then again...

What I find strange is the lack of insignia... Perhaps an early SS uniform?

Comment

I don't think so. Perhaps her boyfriend was a recruit who had no insignia on his tunic yet, maybe he had changed units and was waiting for her to sew the new insignia on? The cockade on the cap indicates German Army rather than SS use.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                  She is giving the British saute I wonder if it is an old Tommy uniform?
                  Most women had no Military Training, therefore no idea of the correct salut...
                  At least half of simular fotos I own women gave this kind of salut, or even wireder looking ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    Most women had no Military Training, therefore no idea of the correct salut...
                    At least half of simular fotos I own women gave this kind of salut, or even wireder looking ones.
                    Could also be the French girlfriend of a german WH soldier
                    The French salut is here correct !

Comment

It could also be taken just after the war, the tunic stripped of its insignia, as were many at that time. The cap also seems to be minus its eagle/
                      Kerry

Comment

I agree, probably after war IMO Tom

Comment

Hi,

Possibly post-war, during the war; whose to know?
                          I have several photos of women wearing their partners uniforms during the war, but none after WW2.
                          It is a German tradition for women to wear men's clothing (especially uniforms) during the "Karnival" week in Germany.
                          Also, men dress as women during this period, and men risk the problem of women cutting off their ties with scissors during this time!
                          I think this is a wartime photo of a woman (note the tunic is far to large for her) wearing a tunic which is without insignia, because her husband/partner is still in training, and has not received permission to wear full Wehrmacht insignia.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X