Suspect pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspect pic

I do not own this image but saw it on a FB Luftwaffe page. IMO a photoshopped fake but Id like the experten to confirm as I find this ridiculous!!!

Thanks

Jonathan
    Attached Files

Comment

Photoshop indeed and very badly done hehe

Comment

Cheers. Some people arguing it could be possible!!!!!

Comment

picture shows one Oberjäger Friedrich Lange

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...atrooper+award

Comment

Originally posted by beufighter View Post
            picture shows one Oberjäger Friedrich Lange

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...atrooper+award
            More (he also had the KC...?):

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=521467&page=3

Comment

You do find various badges being worn, but this combination appears to be about the most extreme case I have ever seen. The links provided only leave more questions than answers.

I have seen photos of the Siegerabzeichen im Reichsberufswettkampf badge worn on the uniforms of enlisted personnel while stationed in Germany, but not at the front.

No RK to a Friedrich Lange is listed...yes, I realize that this will bring out the "not every late-war RK awarded was officially listed" crowd, but further documentation would be needed. From all his tank destruction strips shown in the second photo, and what appears to be the Silver NKS he definitely would have qualified for the DKiG which was mysteriously not awarded...

One photo looks to be post-war with the eagle missing from the tunic, and with additional Panzer destruction badges added. Enough strips showing in that photo to rival the likes of GD's Leutnant Friedrich Anding's 18 kills who was an RK recipient.

Would have to see more of the Soldbuch. Only a few pages were shown of the passbook by the owner in the thread that was linked.

Trust, me there were Walter Mitty types in every army.
              Last edited by Edward; 02-03-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

theres definatly an age difference between the pictures the one with no insignia was taken post war imo and the amount of tdb were added i think he got 3-4 no more. he could have been awarded the iab and the gab before the lw gab was instiuted. i think its a good photo of a good soldier (maybe just srussed up post war) maybe contact the member who spoke to the son??

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                  Enough strips showing in that photo to rival the likes of GD's Leutnant Friedrich Anding's 18 kills who was an RK recipient.
                  1) Anding "only" had 6 kills

2) a x-number of kills did not automaticly get you the KC

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    1) Anding "only" had 6 kills

Thanks Gran Sasso. The information on Andig I got from Angolia's book, For Fuhrer and Fatherland Volume 1, page 112. "Leutnant Friedrich Anding of the Grossdeutschland Divison wears the tank destruction badges indicating a total of 18 tank kills. He was awarded the Knights Cross for destroying six heavy tanks and five armored cars in a single engagement. Anding with 18 kills, closely rivals the total of 21 kills.

You are correct that a higher number of tank kills found worn in photos should not be interpreted as any future award of a RK. I was pointing out that Lange would certainly have more than qualified for the DKiG which he did not receive.

I did look over the link showing Lange's Soldbuch. The owner provided a handwritten synopsis on a card of Lange's units served with. Unfortunately no dates were given. A rough composite could be made from the various entries in the Soldbuch though. Oddly there was no IR 15 that belonged to ID 294, but that could be a typo on the owners part when writing the information down on the card. From the card Lange appears to have served in both the Luftwaffe and Heer, but in what order? Nothing unusual with Heer personnel transferring into the Luftwaffe, or vice versa, but when? Would be interesting to know.

The number of combat badges worn on the uniform GAB, ISA, and Erdkampfabz are very unusual, but the award dates are too. From the Soldbuch entries he was given the ISA on 5.1.44 and the Erdkampfabzeichen 6.3.43? I could not see an award entry for the GAB.

Comment

Jonathan, is that image up for sale somewhere? it looks like it could have been taken from the pic posted in 2004
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

For what it's worth: I think that in march 45 an order was issued that said that you would be awarded the KC if you have qualified for 6 TDBs (unless you have knocked the Tanks out using a Panzerschreck, in that case there was a special regulation).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                          Thanks Gran Sasso. The information on Andig I got from Angolia's book, For Fuhrer and Fatherland Volume 1, page 112. "Leutnant Friedrich Anding of the Grossdeutschland Divison wears the tank destruction badges indicating a total of 18 tank kills. He was awarded the Knights Cross for destroying six heavy tanks and five armored cars in a single engagement. Anding with 18 kills, closely rivals the total of 21 kills..
                          That book does not only give the wrong number of kills, but also moved this battle to the eastern front, also they fought the british army then...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=anding

Comment

That book does not only give the wrong number of kills, but also moved this battle to the eastern front, also they fought the british army then...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=anding
                            Thanks for the link. Very informative too. Most of Angolia's books are of the older generation and have been found with numerous errors...guess that is just one more to be aware of. Well, between the WAF link you provided above and Angolia's book that clears up the case of Andig!

My questions regarding the photo in question and Lange's Soldbuch remain.

Comment

I have to revise my earlier comments made about the Lange Soldbuch. Had to check the Soldbuch closely to believe it. That is the 3 ground combat badges which I now see are all entered; ISA awarded in 1943, Lw Erdkampfabz awarded in 1943, and GAB awarded 1944. All the units for this time period also check out. First time in many years of collecting passbooks that I have ever seen anything like it. Had I just seen the 2 photos in question without the Soldbuch I would have remained doubtful.
                              Last edited by Edward; 02-04-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X