Gebirgsjäger regiment 218

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger regiment 218

The following plaque was found from northern Finland, near Rovaniemi. It's original and confirmed that it's the same plaque as in the picture where the members of gebirgsjäger regiment 218 are sitting around a table somewhere near Rovaniemi. Does anyone know something about this plaque or soldiers in the picture? What is the story of "Zür Jägerlaube"?

I don't think it was near Rovaniemi as the 7 Geb.Div. were deployed a long way from there. Or rather, if it was close to Rovaniemi then this is not a camp\location that belonged to GJR 218, it could be part of a rest area, like a soldatenheim as a 'laube' is a sort of summer house, so jägerlaube would be a summer house for the soldiers
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

It`s my father who woud that plague about 50-70 km from Rovaniemi to east. I was with him and it`s maybe year 1967-1968. After he died I find this from our garage. There near Rovaniemi was old military camp and many old ruins. If I am right this is maybe Stab II Batallion III52/B ?

Comment

Very cool woodcarving! May have to carve one of those for my display room.

Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

About 70 Km east of Rovaniemi sounds like it could be Kemijärvi or the area. There were a couple of soldatenheimen there. The 7 Geb.Div. were around 350 Km east of Rovaniemi but they rotated troops out of the frontline all the time and the 7 Geb.Div. pulled out through Kemijärvi in 1944 as well.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by kinkuksi View Post
            The following plaque was found from northern Finland, near Rovaniemi. It's original and confirmed that it's the same plaque as in the picture where the members of gebirgsjäger regiment 218 are sitting around a table somewhere near Rovaniemi. Does anyone know something about this plaque or soldiers in the picture? What is the story of "Zür Jägerlaube"?

Comment

Are you saying that is where it was found? That is south of Rovaniemi rather than East and there were no major permanent installations there. GJR 218 and other elements of the 7 Geb.Div. were only there about 2 weeks during the retreat. Part of a temporary stop line established in order to allow other elements of the army and Rovaniemi to be evacuated.

If that is where it was found, then it was brought there then left behind during the retreat

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X