Panzer vs truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer vs truck

I've just been scanning some photos and came across an interesting series showing what happens when a panzer and a truck collide in the massive clouds of dust thrown up during an advance. This particular accident happened on 5 September 1942 near Nariman, south of Stalingrad. The truck was from 14. Panzer-Division, the panzer from 24. Panzer-Division.

Jason

First photo shows both vehicles. It looks like a head-on collision, with the panzer crushing the truck's cabin.

Second photo is a close-up of the truck.

- - -
    Attached Files

The truck driver was killed. The first photo shows one of his comrades preparing the grave marker, not an easy task when Soviet planes continually strafed the area (6 times while Keilhofer's name was being painted on the cross).

Second photo shows the grave marker being added to the grave. On the right is the company's Spieß.

A sobering reminder that enemy guns and bombs were not the only thing that could kill.

Jason

- - -
    Attached Files

Comment

Keilhofer's body is still in the same grave today. His remains have not yet been recovered by the Volksbund.

- - -
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting story. The photos have kept a little bit of history alive.

Comment

Very interesting photo series, Jason!
          I just came across this similar image, showing a German halftrack that was, according to the description on the back, "von überschweren Russenpanzern überrolt" in July 1941.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Jason.

Thanks for posting.

He clearly didn't stand much of a chance of surviving.

I wonder how many people have thought about this mans death for the last few decades.

Chris.

Comment

Interesting yet tragic photo series! Thanks for showing!

Comment

The 14. Panzerdivision was completely encircled and destroyed in the Stalingrad pocket. Only very few came back. Maybe he escaped with that accident a more horrible end....

Comment

Interesting photos, indeed. The truck was a french Citröen.

Comment

Pix.

A somber group of pix displayed that hold testament to his misfortune. Though without, his comrades may be the only reminder of what occurred.
                    Thanks for the montage.

Comment

It's sad his grave hasn't been found yet. It probably never will with all those grave robbers around there. A week ago i heard about a guy in russia having the remains of 11 soldiers lying in his house
                      I'm proud to be a sergeant in the royal dutch army

Always looking for documents from the 126. Infanterie-Division.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchcollector View Post
                        It's sad his grave hasn't been found yet. It probably never will with all those grave robbers around there. A week ago i heard about a guy in russia having the remains of 11 soldiers lying in his house
                        Many German graveyards in Russia have not been uncovered by the volksbund yet. A lot of them are undiscovered by grave robbers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X