Portrait of Hitler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portrait of Hitler

My father returned from the War - from Germany with a painting he was given - it is on particle board - signed by Willy Ekner He brought it back in 1944
    We will most likely donate it to a museum but want to know more about it....
    Short of paying for and appraisal -- just to donate it ... ideas?
    Where do donate it also ?

Hi,

Welcome among us! I am not familiar with an artist named Willy Ekner who was active during the Third Reich or earlier, but in order to give an opinion on a painting as you describe it, we will need to see a set of photos of it here. Please note that the privilege to post photos on WAF is only extended to Association Members, which requires an annual membership fee. (See instructions elsewhere on this site.)

Again, welcome, and we look forward to hearing from you often! Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Br. James

Comment

The artist in question is Willy Exner.

The image is a very well known one that was issued in postcard and print formats.

Hope this helps.

Ramon

Comment

Ah! Willy EXNER!! Yes indeed I know of that artist and designer! Thanks for this clarification, Ramon...and have you seen the painting mentioned by Klein530? It would be most helpful if you, as an Association Member, could post some photos of this piece he is inquiring about.

Many thanks, my friend, and Fröhliche Weihnachten to you and yours,

Br. James

Comment

My scanner is not working. However, I think this is the image the OP was referring to: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&d=1211169675

My thanks to the OP of the referenced thread showing this image.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Thanks once again, Ramon...this is the Exner portrait I was thinking of. If Klein530 has the ORIGINAL of this classic painting, then it would be quite valuable indeed. But given that countless reproductions were made of this image, in print media of all sorts (as you show us) and as hand-painted copies by many artists -- both in the TR era and since then -- his painting would need to be critically analyzed and appraised to be certain that it is, in fact, THE original by Willy Exner.

Br. James

Comment

HI I have good reason to believe it COULD be of interest --- I know the woman that gave my father this painting - had other pieces that have been authenticated. The owner of this painting worked with Hitler... My father was given the painting, as the officers were leaving Nuremburg - to save it from looters... He brought it home in his footlocker with personal belongings.
              We would like to find a home for it.... It could be a piece of history...
              That posting showed the painting -- Are the whereabouts of the original known?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X