MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Memel Document (Captain Langsdorff of Graf Spee)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Memel Document (Captain Langsdorff of Graf Spee)

Does this document have any chance of being period? The "stamp" does not look like any I have seen on other Memel documents and of course, the fact that it was supposedly awarded to Captain Hans Langsdorff of Graf Spee makes it doubly suspicious.

I am not sure though and would like those that have studied this award document in detail extend their opinions.

Thanks, John
    Attached Files

This is a purported copy/photo of the original document. The copy was sold as a copy, but as another member just noted to me by PM, should not the copy reflect stains, aging, anything, from the original document?

This one looks like a copy of a brand new document even if it was period. John

Comment

Not real.
      Jeff

Comment

Definitely not real.

Comment

Thanks, John

Comment

That's one very bad attempt!
            Kind regards,
            Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Thanks Giel.

Part of a souvenir box of docs sold for $60 in Argentina. The seller purportedly scanned originals.

John

Comment

We know this is a fake, but I believe the question (not yet specifically answered) is whether it's a facsimile of an original document that was issued to Langsdorff (as originally marketed) or an outright fake with Langsdorff's name typed in.

The only originals I've seen posted on the forums (very few that I can find) have an embossed seal, not that rather odd (to my eye) ink stamp.

So specifically, has anyone ever seen that ink stamp before??

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

This is a fake through and through. I have two Memel docs and both have the standard embossed stamp. Also, the type/font is not period, so it can't be a scan or copy of an original document.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
                    This is a fake through and through. I have two Memel docs and both have the standard embossed stamp. Also, the type/font is not period, so it can't be a scan or copy of an original document.
                    Thanks Brian. Certainly that ink stamp seemed a red flag compared with the embossed one. When you say "type/font" I assume you're talking about the typewriter font and not the fractur script? What do you look for to distinguish a period typewriter from a post-war typewriter?

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's an out and out put together fabrication and no direct scan or photo of an original, the embossed stamp part seems to have been altered in order to make it stand out and thus look like a stamp
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                        It's an out and out put together fabrication and no direct scan or photo of an original, the embossed stamp part seems to have been altered in order to make it stand out and thus look like a stamp
                        Thanks Simon. This seems to be the case for several of the so-called "facsimiles" in that souvenir package. Some things are indeed copies of original documents/newspapers but the "big ticket" items are just fakes. More here:
                        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...72#post6184472

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Thanks Simon, Norm, and Brian.

John

Comment

This is the souvenir box cover sheet. To be clear, this box is no longer available to my knowledge. Sold in 1999 on the 60th anniversary of the Graf Spee incident.

John
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X