Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

translation request

Hi Guys

I purchased a postcard with a reverse-side photo "Hoheitsabzeichen in der Luitpold-Arena" - the front has a special cancellation, the cds appears to have the date 01.9.36 (can't say I've ever seen '01', normally '1' for date 1.9.36, but incorrectly placed 'cds slugs' are known) - the postage stamp is 1936 issue, no doubt in time for 8. Reichsparteitag (8-14 September 1936), and if the 'cds 0 + 1 slugs' were accidently reversed, the date would tie up perfectly for 10.09.36

My request for translation is the script below Nürnberg and to the right of the coat of arms - maybe it's the script font, but this does not appear to be German to me - what language is this, and does this also translate to "Nürnberg Die Stadt der Reichsparteitage"?

Kind Regards, Ian
    Attached Files

The first, third and fourth words are very similar to German "Die" and "Reichs=Parteitage", just cannot make out the second word - the more I look at the text, the more I reckon it most probably does translate as Die Stadt der Reichsparteitage.

The card has written greetings from Nürnberg, and is addressed to Frankfurt-Schwanheim, just makes this special cancellation more fascinating!

KR, Ian
    Attached Files

Comment

It is as pointed out "Nürnberg die Stadt der Reichsparteitage"

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks - is this a type of German/Ancient German "script/font"? - the 1936 RPT was a National/Reichs event, I can't imagine another language being allowed on the special cancellation.

KR, Ian
        Attached Files

Comment

The German script called Suetterlin was a typically script in these years.

http://www.suetterlinschrift.de/Lese/Alphabet.htm

http://www.google.de/imgres?sa=X&biw...3&tx=127&ty=60

Gerdan

Comment

Gerdan - many thanks for the info + links, this has fully answered my questions - all the best, KR Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X