Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super photo of rare Panzer wrapper in leather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super photo of rare Panzer wrapper in leather!

Just came across this picture; a Panzer soldier wearing a Panzer wrapper in leather!
    Attached Files

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...Panzer+wrapper

Comment

Ritterkreuzträger Horst Hain

Comment

Both incredible images

Comment

Fabulous! Never seen anything like these before! I guess it only goes to prove that when you'd won the Knight's Cross, you could pretty well write your own ticket!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

One of these sold Many, many years ago at a OVMS mil. show.....it's the only one I have ever seen ! Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              One of these sold Many, many years ago at a OVMS mil. show.....it's the only one I have ever seen ! Tom
              I have never seen anything like these pics !

Comment

Bringing this old thread back to the top...Fantastic image however of you look closely:
                Insignia is clearly pinned on...might even be a vet posing with his insignia shortly after the war!
                which explains also the lack of shoulderboard buttons...
                Attached Files

Comment

Such uniforms were usually worn without any insignia whatsoever...that was the norm...for fire protection...
                  Last edited by NickG; 08-28-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

The I. SS-Panzerkorps acquired U-boot leather jackets in Italy in the late summer of 1943. These were supposedly originally supplied to the Italian Navy (they also acquired black dress shirts from Italian Fascist Blackshirt depots). Later, some of the leather jackets found their way to other unit, such as sSS-Panzer Abteilungen 502 and 503.

The few surviving photos show that shoulder boards were worn on the Waffen-SS leather jackets. The best-known photos show Michael Wittmann in Normandy and Karl Brommannn near Danzig in the spring of 1945.

Comment

I agree that the first photo is taken post war.

I tried to enlarge the Iron Cross and knights Cross to see if the swastika is present but can't see.

Comment

I agree for a veteran post war picture , with non attached badges on it !
                        Nick

Comment

Yes, quite a striking jacket -- one that one will not forget! I seem to recall seeing a photo of General Hasso von Manteuffel wearing such a leather panzer wrapper, with Heer General's tabs instead of the Panzer Skulls, some years ago.

Thanks for reminding us,

Br. James

Comment

RK and DKiG, who is it though?
                            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Have a look here:

Panzer wrapper

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X