Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM book "Handbuch fuer Admiralsstabsoffiziere"

Hello

I have had for many years, obtained from a friend's uncle in the U.S., a red-covered book: Handbuch fuer Admiralsstabsoffiziere : Schweden, Norwegen, Daenemark, Finnland. Various other information on the outside cover includes: Geheim!; Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine; Abgeschlossen 1.5.1939; and M. Div. Nr. 501.

It is 266 pages and includes 21 fold-out "Plan" bound in the book, which are maps, nautical charts, fortification diagrams, etc. Sweden's ships are shown in profile illustrations like the old Jane's Fighting Ships, and geographic, military, airforce, and naval features of the Scandinavian countries are detailed. The book is about 17 cm wide and 25 cm tall (similar in size to a trade paperbacK), hardcover.

So I have two questions, if I may ask:

1) How common or rare is such a book?

2) Can anyone give me an estimated value of it?

Thanks,

Brian

I think it's are rare book because I could not find the title in any public library in Germany.

Gerdan

Comment

Geheim usually means there were less published than the usual (in my experience)

As for price...no idea.

Your best bet is to try and find something comparable from some military org in the same era.

you could even do a keyword search in used book sites of "Geheim" with the publishing being 39-45 or use various german military branches paired with Geheim.

Comment

Geheim! means Secret!

There is also a red ink stamp inside the front cover:

Vereinnahmt geh.

den 25.9.1942

Luftzeuggr.See-Dv-

which I thought means declassified but I don't think that's right.

Thanks,
        Brian

Comment

"Vereinnahmt geh.(eim)" means that this book was added to the inventory of the
          library/book stock of the unit.

"Luftzeuggr.(uppe) See" is the name of the military unit.

"Dv" could mean "Dienstvorschrift" - regulations.

Gerdan

Comment

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...LftZgGrSee.htm

"Luftzeuggruppe See" was a unit of the Luftwaffe (Air Force). I try to translate the word "Air-

Equippment unit Sea". The HQ of this unit was in Kiel.

Also the German Luftwaffe owned a lot of ships. The equipment of their ships with fuel, radios,

ammunition or food was organized by the Luftzeuggruppe See.

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by BB75 View Post
              Geheim! means Secret!

Brian
              Well of course it means Secret....

I am telling you what it "means" to me as a book collector when thinking about my experience collecting books and how many may be out there to be found, now at this time.

In other words: Geheim (which means Secret) is not found stamped or printed on mass marketed books and instead is to be found on a publication with a very small run.

To make it very plain:
              When I find a Nazi org. published book with something like "Geheim" or "not for outside publication" it is a given that there are very few of them around anywhere.

Comment

Hello Michael.

My apologies for being obtuse. And I mean that. For me, the internet can be a tricky communications means and make understanding what others write or post difficult.

I *thought* I knew what you meant in your original response to my posting, but got it wrong. Your idea to search book seller websites is a good one.

I did google the title before posting on this website and saw similar titles but not this particular one (on the Scandinavian countries).

In fact the copy I have has on the outside front cover: Pruef-Nr. 32 (I think that is a "P") which could be an indication of the number of this copy.

Sincerely,

Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X