Help with two book pages glued together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with two book pages glued together

My question is how to unglue two pages of a book. I have a rather scarce book (Kampf um Coburg) which had a dedication on the inside front cover that was done in calligraphy. Someone at some time wanted to obscure this for what ever reason and took the first flypage and glued it to the front cover. I can see faint outlines of the calligraphy through the glued on page. It will not separate with out damage through mechanical means. Is there any way I can separate these without damaging the dedication?

I've thought of steam but think this might wind up damaging the book with moisture. I'm now thinking of using a hair dryer to get the glue hot and hopefully soft to allow for better mechanical separation. Any thoughts would be welcome.
    Richard V

I believe that there is something available which may do the trick but you will probably have to ask a professional bookbinder/restorer what it is. I have seen it used, obviously on old type glues, I don't think it will touch modern ones. Google is your friend!!
    Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete. I'll google info and see what comes up. So far a hair dryer to cause the glue to soften is all I've found. In this book the dedication was on the inside front cover. At some point someone tried to hide it by gluing the flypage to the inside front cover.
      Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X