X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signature not matching unit designation

Dear members,
    I have a more general question:

An EK1 award certificate to a Wachtmeister of the 290th Artillery regiment (part of the 290th Infantry Divsion).

Signed by General Dr. Johannes Mayer, dated November 1943 and stamped by 329 Inf.-Div. which would fit as Dr. Mayer was the commander at this time.
    But he was not incharge for the 290th !
    Any explanations for this unregularity or is this common ?

A transfer has not been taken as there are awards dated to 1944 for the same man, still 290th regiment.

Thanks and regards
    Christian

Sounds correct as EK1,s would of been awarded by the divisional commander, not the Regimental commander.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but the problem I have is that he signs an EK1 award for a member of a different DIVISON.
      Mayer commander of the 329 Inf. Division
      The Wachtmeister is 290 Artillery-Regiment, which belongs to the 290th Division.

Thanks
      Christian

Comment

I would check each divisions proximity to each other at that time.

Also he may of been transferred.He may of been eligible while at the 290th but did not receive the award immediately and received it when he arrived at the 329th.

Comment

Not to worry as this was quite common. Units were often temporarily subordinate to other divisions - and it was appropriate for the temporary command to award an Iron Cross if the act of bravery occurred under their authority. Both these divisions were fighting with 16. Armee at the time so it is quite likely that the regiment, or a part of it, was attached to 329. ID for a bit.

Comment

Thanks

This forum is a great place to learn !

Comment

Can you please post a photo of the signature of General Dr. Mayer?

thanks,

Brian

Comment

Signature not matching

Perhaps, the commander of the 290th was not available, or deceased.
                mikeburch

Comment

Originally posted by mikeburch View Post
                  Perhaps, the commander of the 290th was not available, or deceased.
                  mikeburch
                  No, in that case a representative or new temporary commander of 290. ID would have signed. This is likely a scenario in which the regiment was temporarily subordinate to another division.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
                    Not to worry as this was quite common. Units were often temporarily subordinate to other divisions - and it was appropriate for the temporary command to award an Iron Cross if the act of bravery occurred under their authority. Both these divisions were fighting with 16. Armee at the time so it is quite likely that the regiment, or a part of it, was attached to 329. ID for a bit.
                    I agree, I have seen this many times before ! Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X