SS Panzer men pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Panzer men pic

Got this pic out from a photoalbum. Would appreciate any help identifying that unit as well what kind of tank. IMO they have skulls on the right collar tab. On the back it says " Friendly rememberance amongst my comrades" "Breakdown over" SS Division and a Name. Could not make better pics as my scanner is on strike.
    skalp
    Attached Files

pics

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

These are men from a Totenkopf unit. The tank appears to be a French Hotchkiss H-39. The Aufklaerungs Abteilung Totenkopf was the first Panzer unit in the Waffen-SS, employing a platoon of Czech-made 35-T in the 1940 Western Campaign. Perhaps this booty French tank was added to the unit.

The Totenkopf Division also served alongside Panzer Divisions, this tank could belong to, for example, the 7. Panzer Division. The posing men don't appear to be Panzer soldiers, so they simply took advantage of passing near the tank to pose for this photo.

An alternate explanation is that these men belong to a Totenkopf Standarte (or later version as a Totenkopf Infanterie Regiment). In that case, this photo could have been taken almost anywhere in Germany or German-occupied territory in the summer of 1940 or spring of 1941 (before these units converted into SS-Infanterie Regiments, and stopped wearing skull collar patches).

Comment

Thank you very much Marc ! I was trying to connect what is written on the back with the photo itself. Basically as i mentioned before it says "Panne vorbei" means that the panzer is running again after a breakdown. And it says " SS Division"so i thought those SS man are connected with the panzer. Anyhow interesting as the panzer is a "Beutepanzer" from the enemy with the german cross on it.
        skalp

Comment

Nice photo and good info from Marc!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X