MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you guys tell me about this Photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can you guys tell me about this Photo?

Once again, another one of my grand uncles, my last one.

What can you guys tell me about the two units he was in (the Infanterie Nachrichten-Ersatz-Kompanie 157 and the Stabskompanie Grenadier-Regiment 261)? Was the Nachrichten like the Signal Corps or something? Can you guys tell what unit he was in when these photos were taken? Anything else interesting would be appreciated, thanks.

Here is what I know about him:

Enlistment date: not listed

Dog Tag: -5409- I. N. E. K. 157
    (Infanterie Nachrichten-Ersatz-Kompanie 157)

Military units:
    on 10/25/1942 Infanterie Nachrichten-Ersatz-Kompanie 157

According to notification from October 1942 Reserve Infanterie-Nachrichten-Kompanie 157

According to the notification 04/27/1943 Stabskompanie Grenadier-Regiment 261
    and on 08/11/1943 under command of: 113. Infanterie Division
    Operated in April-July 1943 Bretange, Aug. 1943 Elnya, Newel

Wounded in Rydki 08/11/1943
    Exit: to the main aid station
    deceased: 08/11/1943 23.30 clock Casualty Clearing Station Jakowlewo

-shrapnel injury head-

on 08/11/1943 Obergrenadier

Last edited by Joec03; 09-27-2013, 05:29 PM.

Your grand uncle was in an infantry signal replacement company. After training with it, he was assigned to the headquarters company of Grenadier Regiment 261, a part of the 113. Infanterie Division. He probably served as a signaller there.

With this unit he was first in Brittany garrison duty and training/formation, and then went with it to Nevel, in northern Russia, in August 1943. I'm not sure if the 8/11/1943 date is the one given in his papers, which would be the European standard of November 8, 1943, or if you adapted it to the American form, which would make it August 11, 1943. Either way, on one of those dates, he was wounded in the head by shrapnel, and died at a dressing station half an hour before midnight. His final rank was equivalent to Private First Class (someone who has gone through training and now is considered a competent soldier, but without any command responsibility).

Comment

Hi, thank you for the response. All dates are in American format.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X