Any information on this uniform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any information on this uniform?

Here's another one of my grand uncles. Unlike my other grand uncles, I know nothing about this one's WW2 service. The only thing I know is that he was captured by the Brits and taken as a POW, and survived the war.

Any clues on what he may have done during the war based on the pic? Anything you guys can tell me about his uniform?

Last edited by Joec03; 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM.

The uniform says that he was an Unteroffizier (junior sergeant, the lowest NCO rank) in the German Army (as opposed to the Navy, Air Force or SS). His NCO status is shown by the Tresse (thick lace) around his collar and shoulder boards. Inside the corner of his collar are two horizontal thick stripes. These each have a thin stripe horizontally across their middle, the color of the stripe (Waffenfarbe) indicates his branch of service.

His Waffenfarbe can't be made out in this photo, at least not by me. If it was white, he would be in the infantry. It looks fractionally darker than the white of the surrounding pieces, but I can't really be sure. It isn't one of the darker shades, such as rose pink for Panzertruppen (who normally wore a distinct uniform anyway) or red for artillery. Maybe someone else can offer further help.

Comment

looks like the shoulder boards are pointed (indicates early/pre war)

the waffenfarbe looks darker than white so my guess would be artillery (red) but it could be a light blue you can definatly knock pioneer (black) from the list of possibles

Comment

I received some more photos of him from my cousin. I think these might help. Looks like a Gebirgsjager hat? Also looks like he was on guard duty somewhere?

Comment

well he has the ost ribbon on his jacket so that ties in with the other picture which must have been taken somewhere in russia

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X