oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me a bit about my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me a bit about my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?

Here's pictures of my grand uncle, he served in the 13th company of the 98th Gebirgsjager. Looks like he has an Iron Cross and some sort of shooting cord for marksmanship. In the group shot it looks to me like he's the only one to have either of these. He served from September 1939 until his death in September 25, 1941.

Can anyone tell me more about the marksmanship cord or Iron Cross? How often were these given out. Anything else interesting regarding the photos would be encouraged as well.

Excellent photo taken on award day for the EKII! the EKII was only allowed to be worn as it is in the photo on the day of awarding, then it could be only worn on a medal bar or parade mount during official functions and portraits. is there a date on the photo or do you know when the EKII was awarded? it is obviously rather early in the war due to his date of death and also the fact that he is wearing early pointed shoulder straps.

Nice photo and good luck in your quest!

Kevin
    Last edited by WEISNER; 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Also on the group photo when was that taken? I would guess he is the 2nd man from the left due to the fact he has an M36 or M40 tunic with the Green collar cloth like the tunic worn in the portrait and there looks to be an EKII ribbon worn in the 2nd button hole?

Kevin

Comment

Hi thanks for the information. In the group photo he is the one holding his hat and is to the right of the two blurry individuals. I don't have any dates for the photos. I do have his compiled service record from the Deutsche Dienststelle, but it never mentioned his Iron Cross.

I've started doing some research on the shooting lanyard (I guess that's what it's called) that he's wearing. Apparently, it's the 2nd version. Not sure when they introduced this second version, but that might narrow down the date.

Comment

A couple of things that strike me. Firstly that he has pens in his top pocket in both photos, that along with him not carrying a rifle and doesnt have ammo pouches i would say hints at his job within the kompanie. Ie. Something that meant he was doing a lot of paperwork. Carrying the lanyard in the field is a little unusual, usually you would only see them being worn for parades, photos etc.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Also note that the trees are bare. That puts the photo somewhere between late 1940 and early 1941 but perhaps not during the winter months as it seems to be warm enough so perhaps spring 41.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Joec03 View Post
              Hi thanks for the information. In the group photo he is the one holding his hat and is to the right of the two blurry individuals. I don't have any dates for the photos. I do have his compiled service record from the Deutsche Dienststelle, but it never mentioned his Iron Cross.

I've started doing some research on the shooting lanyard (I guess that's what it's called) that he's wearing. Apparently, it's the 2nd version. Not sure when they introduced this second version, but that might narrow down the date.
              If that is him as you stated he is wearing a different tunic then as in the group photo the collar is field gray and not green material like the tunic in the portrait!

Perhaps then it is a dress (walking out) tunic in the portrait? also in the group shot to my eyes it does not appear he is wearing a EKII ribbon in the second buttonhole so perhaps this was taken before the awarding of the medal?

good call on the pencils in the pocket Simon!

Kevin

Comment

By the way here is the information I have regarding his service from the Deutsche Dienststelle
                Enlistment date: not listed

Dog Tag: -139 - 13 / Geb Jag. 98 Regiment (13th Mountain Infantry Regiment 98 Company)

Military unit:
                Sept. 13, 1939 as notified by the 13th Company of Mountain Infantry Regiment 98
                and on 09/20/1941 This unit was under the first Mountain Division

Application area: Sept. 39 southern Poland, Lviv,
                Oct-December 39 Eifel,
                Jan. - May 40 Eifel, Meuse,
                June 40 Aisne, Loire,
                July 40 Swiss border,
                Aug.-December 40 Arras,
                Jan. - March 41 Besancon,
                April 41 Carinthia, Yugoslavia,
                May 41 Slovakia,
                June 41-Sept Lviv; Uman

09/20/1941 at Timoschewka
                Finish: to the main aid station

09/22/1941 Army field hospital Nishnje Sserogosy / Ukraine
                Access: from the main aid station
                Outlet: 22/09/1941 relocated

09/22/1941 Field Hospital 54 Nishnje Sserogosy
                Thigh-shot fracture

deceased:
                09/25/1941 6.30 clock in a field hospital 54 Nishnje Sserogosy

on 09/25/1941 Corporal
                (no promotion date)

and in the original German that I received it:

Einberufungsdatum: nicht verzeichnet

Erkennungsmarke: -139- 13./ Geb. Jag. Rgt. 98 (13. Kompanie Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 98)

Truppenteil:
                laut Meldung vom Sept. 1939 13. Kompanie Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 98
                und am 20.09.1941 Diese Einheit unterstand der 1. Gebirgs-Division

Einsatzraum: Sept. 39 Südpolen, Lemberg,
                Okt.-Dez. 39 Eifel,
                Jan. - Mai 40 Eifel, Maas,
                Juni 40 Aisne, Loire,
                Juli 40 Schweizer Grenze,
                Aug.-Dez. 40 Arras,
                Jan. - März 41 Besancon,
                April 41 Kärnten, Jugoslawien,
                Mai 41 Slowakei,
                Juni- Sept. 41 Lemberg; Uman

20.09.1941 bei Timoschewka
                Abgang: zum Hauptverbandplatz

22.09.1941 Armee-Feldlazarett Nishnje Sserogosy/Ukraine
                Zugang: vom Hauptverbandplatz
                Abgang: 22.09.1941 verlegt

22.09.1941 Feldlazarett 54 Nishnje Sserogosy
                Oberschenkel-Schussfraktur

Verstorben:
                25.09.1941 6.30 Uhr in Feldlazarett 54 Nishnje Sserogosy

Dienstgrad:
                am 25.09.1941 Obergefreiter
                (kein Beförderungsdatum)

Comment

I found this information regarding the engagement that he was likely injured in.

The next Soviet line of defense on the advance route of the 1. Gebirgs-Division was the heavily defended anti-tank ditch near Timoschewka. On the 20th September 1941 the 1. Gebirgs-Division along with the 4. Gebirgs-Division launched their first assault against this artificial barrier. After some days of fierce combat at the anti-tank ditch it was decided that both divisions should take part in the invasion of the Crimean peninsula and that there place in the front-line at the ditch should be taken over by the 1st, 2nd and 4th Romanian Mountain Brigade. On the 24th of September 1941, after handing their foxholes and trenches over to the Romanian mountain troops, the Gebirgsjägers marched off towards the south-east, only to be hurriedly ordered back when the Soviets launched a counterattack against the Romanian sector that put the Romanians in grave danger.

The Gebirgsjägers managed to seal off the Soviet break-through and on the 29th September started their own counterattack. On 5th October, after the Russian defenders had deserted the anti-tank ditch, both Gebirgs-Divisions started the pursuit of the retreating Russian forces.

Comment

By the way, I'm curious about the circumstances of the group photo. How would he come to have this photo? Did a photographer just take photos of the troops and then hand them out to each person?

Comment

Just received a new photo of him and his final resting place for those that are interested. In the group photo he is in the middle.

Comment

Joe,

Thank you for sharing these images and story of your great-uncle. I greatly admire his portrait photo. He certainly epitomizes the spirit of these brave mountain soldiers.

Bryant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X