Stalingrad death card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalingrad death card

I got this interesting Stalingrad deathcard. The interesting part is the cap the soldier is wearing. It cannot be a m43, so it must be a gebirgsjager cap. He must have been transfered to some infantry unit after the pic was taken, unless there was GJ units in Stalingrad that I am not aware off? Jacques
    Attached Files

He probably belonged to 100. Jäger-Division. I've seen a few instances where next-of-kin confuse "Jäger" for "Gebirgsjäger". In any case, the men of 100. Jäger-Division saw themselves as mountain guys and often wore GJ items, like caps and boots.

Jason

Comment

Jacques,

Where did you get the information that he died in Stalingrad as it says only Osten on the Death Card. That could be anywhere in Russia.

Comment

Thanx Jason. Bill I got his personal and burial information from the Volksbund. J

Comment

Jacques,

OK...now it makes sense. I googled information about the 100th Light Infantry Division which was virtually destroyed at Stalingrad. The unit was reorganized as the 100th Jaeger Division after Stalingrad.

Here is the link to the history of this unit (click on 100th Light Infantry Division).

http://www.amazon.com/wiki/100th_Lig...ion_(Wehrmacht)

Bill
          Last edited by W Petz; 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
            The unit was reorganized as the 100th Jaeger Division after Stalingrad.
            All leichte infantry divisions, including the 100th, were renamed as Jäger Divisions on 6 July 1942. No new equipment, nothing... it was just a simple change of names.

Jason

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X