PAB in silver 5/SS-Pz.Regt9 "Hohenstaufen"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAB in silver 5/SS-Pz.Regt9 "Hohenstaufen"

Here is a very nice PAB Silber document from Anton (covered his last name) who served in 5/SS-Pz.Regt.9 "Hohenstaufen". The document is signed on 30 september 1944 by SS Sturmbannfuhrer Eberhard Telkamp, commander from SS-Pz.Regt.9. SS Sturmbannfuhrer. I haven't seen much Telkamp signatures to be honest. Considering the date Anton perhaps earned it for his actions during the Normandy campaign or during the retreat from France through Belgium to Holland. Without further documentation it will be difficult to tell. If somebody has more detailed info about 5/SS-Pz.Regt 9 Hohenstaufen feel free to add.

Telkamp's Panther got hit on 21 december 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge near Poteau. His Panther took a direct hit on the left front side from heavy Artillery fire. The grenate perced through the Panther and killed the driver Heinz Schneider. The Panther took fire and Telkamp and some others from the crew managed to escape. Funker Gerd Rosowa lost an eye.

Eberhardt Telkamp was a Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant Colonel) in the Waffen SS during World War II. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany during World War II.

Eberhardt Telkamp was born on the 8 May 1914 in Leer, Ostfriesland. He volunteered to join the SS-VT. He was awarded his first combat decoration the Iron Cross II class in June 1940 and the Iron Cross I class in October 1940, during the Battle of France. After the armistice with France he was involved in Operation Marita in the Balkans with the Das Reich Division, where he was awarded the General Assault Badge. He next took part in Operation Barbarossa the invasion of the Soviet Union. In 1942 he was given his first command the 10th Battery, 2nd SS Panzer Artillery Regiment. His Knight's Cross was awarded in August 1944, while in command of the 9th SS Panzer Regiment, 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen which was part of Army Group B in France (Operation Overlord). Telkamp survived the war.

He was awarded with:

Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
    Iron Cross I Class
    Iron Cross II Class
    German Cross in Gold
    General Assault Badge in Silver
    Wound Badge in Gold
    Eastern Front Medal

best

Erwin
    Attached Files

Very nice Erwin!!! Thanks to share this with us!
    A desiderable a rare document

Best regards,
    Roby

Comment

Dear Erwin,

A great and rare document.

Thanks for sharing!

Rene

Comment

I guess some of the qualifying assaults could also have been at Arnhem.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbe View Post
          Very nice Erwin!!! Thanks to share this with us!
          A desiderable a rare document

Best regards,
          Roby
          Thanks Roberto. Glad you like it

Ciao

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Kuifje69 View Post
            Dear Erwin,

A great and rare document.

Thanks for sharing!

Rene
            Thanks Rene Although the ink wasn't dry when it was folded, it has been dry for a lot of years

Best regards

Erwin

I lifted this nice photograph from Eberhard Telkamp from the net. I don't know who the owner is, but if he wants it to be removed, just let me know
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
              I guess some of the qualifying assaults could also have been at Arnhem.
              That might be and could be possible. But it will always be guessing i think. I believe Telkamp took over the command mid september 1944 as soon after the regiment's original leader Otto Meyer was killed on August 29 1944. But the document "proves" he had some qualifying assaults and got his award for that, but without further information it will be hard to tell.
              regards

Erwin

Comment

Agreed, one way might be to see when other PAB awards to members of the regiment were made around the time. If there were awards made during the period after there retreat from France and before Market-Garden then it could well indicate that this award included assaults during the second half of september. Another way would be to research in detail the activities of this kompanie in France and Holland. What ever the case i think there's some great research potencial here.
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Erwin,

A very nice document indeed and thanks for sharing with us. I would be great to know how he won this award but as you said probably hard to ever find out. Great signature on the document as well.

Thanks, as always.

Cheers

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                    Agreed, one way might be to see when other PAB awards to members of the regiment were made around the time. If there were awards made during the period after there retreat from France and before Market-Garden then it could well indicate that this award included assaults during the second half of september. Another way would be to research in detail the activities of this kompanie in France and Holland. What ever the case i think there's some great research potencial here.
                    Thanks Simon.. I will try if i can find some more information which will be clarify "guessings"

Regards

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Revellations View Post
                      Erwin,

A very nice document indeed and thanks for sharing with us. I would be great to know how he won this award but as you said probably hard to ever find out. Great signature on the document as well.

Thanks, as always.

Cheers

Scott
                      Thanks Scott. Well one thing is sure. He earned it for taking part in 3 panzer assault says. But where? I can't answer that, time will tell. Could be France, Belgium or Holland or a combination

I particular like the Telkamp signature very much.

Regards

Erwin

Comment

Great document Erwin. It's nice to see a unquestionable one like this.

Did the Oberscharfuhrer survive the war?
                        (I think it's sensible to keep his surname obscured to preserve the document from fakers).

Thanks for sharing.

I get the feeling you've enjoyed researching this!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin L View Post
                          Thanks Rene Although the ink wasn't dry when it was folded, it has been dry for a lot of years

Best regards

Erwin

I lifted this nice photograph from Eberhard Telkamp from the net. I don't know who the owner is, but if he wants it to be removed, just let me know
                          My original used in "Knights of Steel" and another of my books. The other officer is Lorenz Emmerling, then Telkamp's adjutant.

OK to keep posted and to Erwin: I sincerely thank you for the courtesy regards offer to owner. Internet theft by those who assume they buy a book allows copyright infringement (obviously not you) is a major problem with those who spend a fortune in time and money to write books.

Telkamp's signature is rare, even postwar he wrote few though I found him a very nice man when we corresponded while he was living in a retirement community.

His bio with multiple photos including his award proposal is in vol. 2 of "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police." Image is from when he served with the original Sturmgeschütz Batterie formed in 1941.

Below part of a posed image from Telkamp's biography.

Mark C. Yerger
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                            Great document Erwin. It's nice to see a unquestionable one like this.

Did the Oberscharfuhrer survive the war?
                            (I think it's sensible to keep his surname obscured to preserve the document from fakers).

Thanks for sharing.

I get the feeling you've enjoyed researching this!

Chris.
                            Thanks Chris I don't know if he survived the war but he is not listed on the volksbund.

Regards

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
                              My original used in "Knights of Steel" and another of my books. The other officer is Lorenz Emmerling, then Telkamp's adjutant.

OK to keep posted and to Erwin: I sincerely thank you for the courtesy regards offer to owner. Internet theft by those who assume they buy a book allows copyright infringement (obviously not you) is a major problem with those who spend a fortune in time and money to write books.

Telkamp's signature is rare, even postwar he wrote few though I found him a very nice man when we corresponded while he was living in a retirement community.

His bio with multiple photos including his award proposal is in vol. 2 of "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police." Image is from when he served with the original Sturmgeschütz Batterie formed in 1941.

Below part of a posed image from Telkamp's biography.

Mark C. Yerger
                              Mr. Yerger. Thanks for the extra information and posting another great picture from Eberhard Telkamp. I really appreciate it.

I saw the other picture on the internet when i was searching for more background information about Eberhard Telkamp. Unfortunately, it wasn't mentioned who the owner of the picture was, otherwise i would have mention that. Just let me know if you want the picture to be removed and i will ask a moderator.

Best regards

Erwin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X