Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudolf Hoess execution - Auschwitz 1947

Hi Guys,

I wanted to start this little thread regarding Hoess execution.
    Quick reminder: the execution took place on 16th of April 1947, on the Auschwitz I camp area, using gallows placed near to the gas chamber and crematory building (old amunition arsenal) from one side and Hoess villa from the other side.

After his condemned to death at Polish Court former auschwitz prisoners gave a petition to the polish authorities with claim of placing the execution in Auschwitz I camp. The petition was approved - BUT to avoid public linch and uncontrolled behaviours of the publicity the exact date of execution remained secret and only few officials plus priest and guards were allowed to enter the place of execution.

As you all know only 3-4 images of that moment are available to see on internet pages, there was only one official photographer from polish communist authorities and he took the pictures, from which only those 2-3 are to see, no one else could took pictures and the cameras and taken pictures of other accidental persons were confiscated during the hanging moments.

Of course many people (ex- auschwitz prisoners etc.) were gathering outside the camp area few days before the execution, exactely from 14th of April 1947, when it became known the fact that execution will take place in Auschwitz.

Only one area - at the camp outside fence, on the distance (length) of some 10-15 meters was available for this "illegal" outer audience to see the execution. This is the space on the back of the gallows (some 15 meters away), so this place was pretty good to see the execution and all officials, but not many could stay there, maybe 10-30 persons ??? And they were not allowed to take pictures.

Please, see the execution area, the view from the front and from the back.
    Attached Files

Very few known pictures .....
    Attached Files

Comment

The third and fourth known ....
      Attached Files

Comment

And now I would like to show you one of such illegal pictures taken by audience standing outside the fence, from the back of the gallows.
        I was lucky to get this photo from the ex-Dachau polish prisoner who was present that day on the execution in Auschwitz. His photo was not confiscated

This is very amazing photo with lots of details, we can see the whole "official crew" on the camp area, plus official photographer (in black), plus catholic priest (he was present on the Hoess demand), guards etc. ......
        The catholic priest for example could not been shown on ANY official comunist approved photo showing this event.

Also we can see the pale of bricks, later they were used to level up the ground around the gallows.
        Attached Files

Comment

And now the exact place from where my picture was taken.
          Attached Files

Comment

Some compares ....
            Attached Files

Comment

Great pictures !

Comment

Indeed, a very interesting piece. Thank you for sharing it with us all. The exact location of the execution was on the site of the former camp Gestapo building. Below are additional views of the execution site.

Regards,

Carl
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Carl for additional pictures

Here is the air view.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A great topic. Thanks a lot for the "Now and then" pictures and mostly for showing the clandestine imagine of Hoess execution.
                    Douglas

Comment

Interesting topic + photo

Comment

Great thread. Thanks for your effort.
                        sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Very rare picture indeed. I too have searched for extra pictures of this event other than the few official ones, and they are virtually non-existant, so that picture you have there is extremely rare indeed.

I wonder just how many others were taken on that day?

Thanks for this interesting post and showing us your picture

Mark

Comment

Guys, thank you all for your kind words
                            I`m very happy to see that you appreciate the picture just as I do.

And yes, I guess there are few other pictures taken that day in secret but it will be very hard to see them some day if ever ....

Comment

Hi,

This must be a very rare photograph!
                              It is interesting to see the form of hanging employed here, where the "drop" is very short; often just a stool or chair with the prisoner a few inches or feet from the ground.
                              This would result in the executed prisoner being slowly strangled, rather than hanged.
                              In the UK, the most prominent executioner was Albert Pierrepoint who perfected a hanging technique where the prisoners height, weight, and muscular structure were calculated and a "drop" length was calculated to break the neck which resulted in an instant death.
                              A very good movie was produced in 2006 entitled "Pierrepont" starring Timothy Spall.
                              A very intense and moving film chronicling the life of the executioner who was sent to Germany post war to execute a great many Nazi war criminals.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X