Adolf Hilter Potrait for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf Hilter Potrait for Review

I have a Hitler portrait for review, the frame is postwar and it has textured paper. Question I have is around what year would have this been taken? Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files

more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

An odd portrait, Stephen...IMO. It was clearly an amateur undertaking; Hitler was never that emaciated-looking, either during the Kämpfzeit or in the early years of his Chancellorship or even during the war years. The portrait seems to portray Hitler wearing the PL uniform of the mid-1930s under his overcoat...but that uniform was brown, not gray. And when he changed to his wartime kit, that included a traditional jacket style in both single and double-breasted designs. Those wartime uniforms were made in a semblance of feldgrau -- a smoky green color -- in order to accent his position as military leader, and he never wore a belt or a Sam Browne Strap with his wartime kit. If this portrait was made during the Third Reich era, I suppose it could have been one of the countless attempts produced by students or untrained artists. Just some thoughts...

Br. James

Comment

Thanks for your help, I am just trying to find one nice portrait.

Comment

I'd say if it's a pre 45 production it's a rare and unusual print - worth keeping for that reason alone.

Comment

I am not sure, maybe due to the angles it has been photographed but the body doesn't seem anatomical correct. Adolf Hitler's face is nicely done tho.

Comment

I agree; the body is out of proportion to the head, which gives me to believe that the portrait was done by an amateur, not formally trained in portraiture.

Br. James

Comment

Hitler def wore the sam brown belt with both his pre war and wartime uniform...up to the campaign in the West.
                After 1942 he reverted to the simple double breasted that is familiar to all.
                The picture depicts him at the height of his power. ...1940.

Comment

The image was originally issued in both sheet form and postcard and is by the artist Roloff. I have the postcard of this image in my collection and it period used in 1942.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X