Panzer Off W/ Edelweiss On Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting photo with a Panzer Officer , standing with a group of Gebirgsjager's. Did he serve with the Third Company ?

Anyone have any ideas to solve this issue, thank you in advance to any member that responds.

Peter.
    Attached Files

That's a nice photo Peter. Are you sure it is an Edelweiss and not another traditions badge? Hard to see the cap device. If it is an Edelweiss on the cap then it is the first I can recall ever seeing in a photo being worn by a Panzer officer on the dress cap. Could very well be an Edelweiss. He also has a cuff title on his lower left sleeve.
    Last edited by Edward; 07-27-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Hello Edward, yes I believe it to be an Edelweiss. I have looked at it a number of times with my microscope. It appears to be Gebirgsjager visor insignia, of which I have a couple in my collection.

Peter.

Comment

Peter and Edward,

Not a Panzer officer. I believe there Gebirgs-Panzerjaegers in the unit organization so it would make sense that he has a edelweiss on his peaked cap. You just don't normally see them wearing black wraps.

Bill

Comment

I see the Edelweiss on the sleeves of the soldiers, as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great photo Peter.

Bryant

Comment

Thanks Peter. Can you tell what the cuff title is, and if he is wearing either an Infantry Assault, or Panzer Assault Badge?

Looks like an Afrika cuff title.

Great photo!
              Last edited by Edward; 07-27-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

photo

If you could post close-up pics of the officer and the sign on the wall if would be helpful.

Comment

Good info Bill. Interesting if it is a Gebirgs Officer wearing a black wrap! First time I have ever seen that. I thought within the later war Gebirgsjäger-Divisionen Panzerjägereinheiten that either the standard field uniform continued to be worn, or the Sturmartillerie uniform with pink piped Totenkopf collar tabs.

I do have a nice studio portrait of a Gebirgs wearing his cap with Edelweiss and Sturmartillerie wrap with unpiped Doppelitzen.

Comment

Grüß Di' Gebirglers,

Perhaps these are Gebirgspioniers from the Gebirgs-Pionier-Bataillon 54. They had a Gepanzertfloßsackzug that used Panzer I's without turrets to pull trailers with assault rafts.

Can you make a close-up of the 3. Kompanie sign in the background?

Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

Appears to be a General Assault Badge.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                        Appears to be a General Assault Badge.
                        Nice photo!

This is:

3. Kompanie
                        Pz.-Jg-Ers.-Ausb.-Abtl.48

The replacement batallion for Gebirgs-Panzerjäger-Abteilungen 47, 48, 55 and 95

Last edited by naxos; 07-27-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Interesting information Peter. I think that there are photos around somewhere showing Pz !'s towing assault craft during the France Campaign.

Comment

Nice close-up Leroy and thanks for the ID on it being a GAB. Tough call trying to discern the cap badge. Could be an Edelweiss though.

Comment

Nice read on the sign naxos!

Here is the info. on the unit from the Lexicon. Was an Austrian replacement unit for several Panzerjägereinheiten. To include Gebirgsjäger.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...bwAbtErs48.htm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X