Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAD photo

Hello

I recently got this photo of theses RAD men. What is the unit emblem painted on the truck door. It does'nt seem to be a RAD marking ?
    Regards
    Alain
    Attached Files

Hi Alain,

The vehicle marking is exactly the same as the RAD steel helmet decal, and below it is a unit number.
    I have not got the relevant reference book to hand at the moment, but I think I may be able to give you the unit location over the next few days.
    I will get back to you when I have checked my books.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Thanks john for your help.
      Regards
      Alain

Comment

Hi Alain,

Just been checking through the book "Labor Organizations Of the Third Reich" by J.R. Angolia and David Littlejohn, and found this information.
        The truck bears the unit number "XXXI 10", which is the Roman numeral for an RAD "Arbeitsgau"; (work district) which usually has a specific geographical area name.
        This one however, being larger than most; is the only unit not designated a specific regional designation!
        Members of this unit were the nucleus of RAD Groups for all over Germany which were employed by the Wehrmacht to work on the Siegfried Line, and their headquarters were in Karlsruhe.
        The "10" I believe refers to the "Gruppe" of this particular unit. Whilst most Arbeitsgau had 6-8 Gruppe, this unit being so large would probably have more.
        Hope this information is of some help.

Best wishes,

john.

Comment

Hi John

Thanks a lot for this detailed information.
          Regards
          Alain

Comment

Hi Alain,

My pleasure, glad I could help a fellow member with some information; not too often am I able to assist someone on the forum

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X