Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rommel Signature, OK?

Hi guys,

Altough I am pretty positive, I would like to know your opinion on this Rommel signature. I have seen prices range from 300$ to 800€; what would be about a fair price for this letter?

Thanks and take care,

jw b.

IMO, postcard is original, then the feeling I get , is, someone typed a message on it with a German typewriter, and faked the signature....If you compare to his at the front bottom , you can notice drastic differences ...please show the Feldpost emblem in the upper right corner of the front. This is my opinion only , but, I would be careful to have it checked by a professional autograph dealerregardless ,before I bought this one, if I were you, and best have a money back guarantee in writing for sure even then , before springing unless its cheap.( like 10.00.) autographs are a very dangerous business even for sports memorabilia, and now more sophisticated fakers have made it a minefield in our hobby. If this was brought home by a vet, and he was alive, and it was like 10.00, then no problem, but then if you had that, you wouldn't need to bring it here for opinions. Caution should be exercised on this one.

Comment

This looks like the one I am actually about to buy, for around $400. PM me please, I want to make sure.

Comment

Sometimes we have to fly by the seat of our pants on stuff like this..(especially with no provenance as stated above).I cannot give you a 100% suggestion either way as to what to do, my best advice is as stated, if your gonna buy it,and really gotta have it, are afraid you'll lose out, (usually due to greed, never buy out of greed if you are unsure of something) get a guarantee that protects your interest, has writing of a guarantee that you can depend on, and then you will have to find a reputable TR autograph dealer(within a reasonable period of time , and get crackin , and pay them to authenticate it, if its a wash you can thank yourself , if I'm wrong you can thank yourself again.. You know Rommel was strafed , but that was in the Normandy campaign , and so search online for Rommel signatures and see how this one compares, as I am sure after he was out of the hospital , his handwriting may have been shakey at best for a while. I do not think , since it is dated in 43, that applies to this signature...as that incident was after the date on this envelope .I know the autograph fakers are getting so much better , and all I am suggesting to be very careful that you cover your bases , and don't get stuck with a bogus piece of truck. (truck: term referring to paper collectibles). But we all have , and still do . Good luck, and approach the issue professionally, and if the seller will not guarantee this , pass. .

Comment

I am far to be an autograph expert, but just my 2 cents : It would have been faster to write directly on the card, rather than putting it in a typewriter, etc...

IMHO, it is a forgery (sig looks very different between the printed and "real" one), and the forger did not know how Rommel's writing looked like...

If I am unsure, for 400$ I would not buy it.

Comment

i like it, rommel was only to sign this, im sure his adjutant did the rest,sig looks good to me, where was rommel at the time, and what does the feldpost stamp say? either way,i like it.

Comment

Originally posted by PHILBROWN View Post
              i like it, rommel was only to sign this, im sure his adjutant did the rest,sig looks good to me, where was rommel at the time, and what does the feldpost stamp say? either way,i like it.
              I don't. I think this is typical of the many Rommel forgeries on the market. Save your money.
              Max.

Comment

There is a significant difference in between the printed signature on the front of the card and the example on the reverse.

That in itself would be a red flag indicator for myself. The market has been flooded with examples of Rommel signatures over the past few years and many show marked differences to the printed signature displayed here, and as a result there is much doubt around them.

My advice would be to leave it alone.

Regards Richard.
                Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

save your money

i don't like it and wouldn't want it either...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X