Four Photos Of Wrecked FW 190 Toul, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Photos Of Wrecked FW 190 Toul, France

These four photos are from the photo album of a 35th U.S. I.D.

He was a truck driver and took pictures all over as they liberated towns.

Here are four photographs he took of a destroyed FW 190.

Caption reads Toul.

I guess it would be pretty hard to ID this planes unit ?
    Attached Files

The tail.
    Attached Files

Comment

relying on the 47 year old memory of a 13 year old kid: me. The last picture is looking to the west. The two mountains are on the West side of the Mosle River. The northern most, more flat topped mountain, is (I think) the location of Fort Saint Michael built in the 1870s to oversee important road and waterways; It is often mistakenly referred to as Fort Toul. (Toul itself was a fortress town. But not nearly so cool to a 14 year old kid fascinated by the massive ruins of a real honest to goodness abandoned fort on the top of a wooded mountain!)
      These images may have been taken fairly close to what had been a German Airbase that later became Toul Rosaires Airbase for the US through to 1966.

Living in a small nearby town , we regularly used to dig up bullets and jagged pieces of iron, broken barbed wire, crushed canteens, mess kits and c-ration cans, bottles, and once a part of a plate with a Luftwaffe eagle on it! (still got that somewhere) Occassionaly broken pieces of guns and other stuff turned up as we believed any piece of rusty junk must be from the wars. (Every rusty old car part was certainly part of some Tiger tank, and every spent bullet had certainly pierced some Nazis' chest. (there were hundreds we found: the bent ones had certainly hit a helmet!) Then some kids several miles north of us got blown up by a discarded and rusty old grenade they'd found. My Uncle Bill, who I lived with at the time, reigned me & my cousins in a bit after that! Kids...

Comment

Originally posted by GEB View Post
        relying on the 47 year old memory of a 13 year old kid: me. The last picture is looking to the west. The two mountains are on the West side of the Mosle River. The northern most, more flat topped mountain, is (I think) the location of Fort Saint Michael built in the 1870s to oversee important road and waterways; It is often mistakenly referred to as Fort Toul. (Toul itself was a fortress town. But not nearly so cool to a 14 year old kid fascinated by the massive ruins of a real honest to goodness abandoned fort on the top of a wooded mountain!)
        These images may have been taken fairly close to what had been a German Airbase that later became Toul Rosaires Airbase for the US through to 1966.

Living in a small nearby town , we regularly used to dig up bullets and jagged pieces of iron, broken barbed wire, crushed canteens, mess kits and c-ration cans, bottles, and once a part of a plate with a Luftwaffe eagle on it! (still got that somewhere) Occassionaly broken pieces of guns and other stuff turned up as we believed any piece of rusty junk must be from the wars. (Every rusty old car part was certainly part of some Tiger tank, and every spent bullet had certainly pierced some Nazis' chest. (there were hundreds we found: the bent ones had certainly hit a helmet!) Then some kids several miles north of us got blown up by a discarded and rusty old grenade they'd found. My Uncle Bill, who I lived with at the time, reigned me & my cousins in a bit after that! Kids...
        Thanks for sharing! Interesting story and must have been a very interesting childhood!
        ------------------------------------------------
        Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X