Strange weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange weapon

What is this curious looking weapon, currently on eBay?
    Thanks,
    Kerry.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by kerryboo View Post
    What is this curious looking weapon, currently on eBay?
    Thanks,
    Kerry.
    Hmm not a common one at all

My guess off the top of my head

French Mle 1907 St. Etienne

I think the Germans gave it the name sMG 255 or 256

Or maybe the Italian Berda 37?
    Last edited by byterock; 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

doesn't really look like one of those at all. Seems to be large calibre, 12-13mm or something
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

WOW! Have never seen one of those before. For sure .50 cal. or so. Or, could it be some kind of propaganda shot with some new "super weapon"? Looking forward to more ideas.
        Wilhelm

Comment

Originally posted by Wilhelm View Post
          WOW! Have never seen one of those before. For sure .50 cal. or so. Or, could it be some kind of propaganda shot with some new "super weapon"? Looking forward to more ideas.
          Wilhelm
          me too Seriously, I was not able to find anything about this in my books or web for now

Comment

Maybe more of a vehicle or aeroplane mounted weapon as it is on a vehicle mount rather than a tripod or bipod.

Comment

Thanks for all of the thoughts. I have been looking long and hard, I wonder if that is a BFD, blank firing device, on the end of the barrel? The rounds being fed appear vey short and the rear sight is below the line of the "bulb" on the end. Just a thought,
              Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                Maybe more of a vehicle or aeroplane mounted weapon as it is on a vehicle mount rather than a tripod or bipod.
                That is exactly what I was thinking too ! I was looking up WW1 -WW2 era deck and Aeroplane mounted weapons last evening looking for a match but couldn't find one.

Comment

I am still leaning to Berda 37 it had a very heavy barrel for an 8mm gun. Perhaps the attachment is a makeshift flash suppressor?? Seem the 37 did not have one

Comment

Byterock, the Breda 37 was fed by means of a tray, not belt-fed as here. I agree that the general form is very similar, but I am not aware that any conversion to belt-feed was developed. As so many times before, I could be proved wrong, but that is my thought on the weapon,
                    Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by kerryboo View Post
                      Byterock, the Breda 37 was fed by means of a tray, not belt-fed as here. I agree that the general form is very similar, but I am not aware that any conversion to belt-feed was developed. As so many times before, I could be proved wrong, but that is my thought on the weapon,
                      Kerry.
                      True it normally was strip feed, but there was a conversion kit, usually used when it was in a vehicle mount, so it could be set up for belt feeding. As well the Germans even re-bored some for 7.92 from 8mm at least to the doc I read last night. No flash eliminator though.

Comment

Back to the actual picture, the gunners do not look like they are worried about return fire. They are exposed. That is why I was wondering about the propaganda aspect. Kerry makes a good point about the sights, that "thing" is blocking the proper sight picture.
                        Wilhelm

Comment

Looks like they stopped to pose for a pic with it (see gun and helmet on the left). Seems mounted to that stand in the ground - probably some abandoned gun position?
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X