Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sepp Dietrich - Fake autograph

Saw this some weeks ago on auction.

A terrible Sepp Dietrich fake, trying to reassamble an early 1942 signature and dedication.

Beginner collectors, watch out!

Markus
    Attached Files

Can see 2 different handwritings for sure - way out of alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianK View Post
      Can see 2 different handwritings for sure - way out of alignment.
      I disagree. I think this is written in entirety by the same hand. There are major similarities in addition to the variations. The forger has written the dedication and then changed style slightly to accommodate the well known formation of Dietrich's signature. He/she obviously knows how Dietrich signed his name, but is clearly not so familiar with his handwriting. Definitely the work of one forger.
      The misalignment of the signature with the handwriting can be attributed to the printed caption where the forger becomes influenced by it as he gets closer. This is quite common in forgeries as a genuine signer is not concentrating so much. Also, it can also be caused by the forger signing the card first and then deciding to add a dedication subsequently to raise the value.
      One point worthy of note here is that it is unusual for dedicated photos to be in postcard form. It does happen, but they are more likely to be actual photographs.
      Markus is right though.....an awful forgery.
      Max.

Comment

I remember this fake signature photo + the letter fake was here in the forum.

Comment

Max history - I think you are right. He must be a bad forger if he cannot make all the lines seem written by the same hand.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X