Art / painting of SS-soldier 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art / painting of SS-soldier 1944

First, I am not shure if this is the right place to post this, but I`ll give it a try.
    I am looking for information about this art painting from 1944. The artist "R.W Ballheimer" is unknown for me, and the person on the pichture is as well unknown for me. I have tried to find out about this person Ballheimer without any luck, witch is kinda strange when considering that the artist/painter seems to have/had quite good skills. The way he write his signature also makes me think that this person was an artist with quite time of experience.

All information will be apprisiated!

I did find the painting in Northern-Norway, but the previous owner was from Germany and he had brought the painting with him to Norway after the war.

I would say what you have there is a reproduction of this painting.

Comment

Hi Max. Wow!! Thats amazing! Thank you for replay, this was very interesting. The two paintings has absolutely the same orgin. My painting is not a modern copy made by a machine (sorry for bad english) but it is painted by hand in a traditionel way. It is done a very nice job. Is it possible that my painting is the original one?

Where did you find the paint in your reply? I see my painting has a signature and yours has not. I do not know why?

Please tell me more about this case because I am very courius about this painting. How did mr Ballheimer come across your painting, and why did he make a "copy" of it? Guess will never know.
      But I want to investigate a bit more, so please tell me the background of your paint.
      Last edited by sdkfz2; 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Can we see the back of the painting please?

Comment

Lot's of differences between the two, the guns barrel, gas mask can and the camo patterns being stand outs and several subtle little differences. interesting painting of a painting.

Kevin

Comment

Your painting is not original by any means... It has skewed proportions compared to the original i.e. face relative to helmet.

I dont know who the artist was for the original unfortunately.

Originally posted by sdkfz2 View Post
            Hi Max. Wow!! Thats amazing! Thank you for replay, this was very interesting. The two paintings has absolutely the same orgin. My painting is not a modern copy made by a machine (sorry for bad english) but it is painted by hand in a traditionel way. It is done a very nice job. Is it possible that my painting is the original one?

Where did you find the paint in your reply? I see my painting has a signature and yours has not. I do not know why?

Please tell me more about this case because I am very courius about this painting. How did mr Ballheimer come across your painting, and why did he make a "copy" of it? Guess will never know.
            But I want to investigate a bit more, so please tell me the background of your paint.

Comment

I am an avid collector as well as tattooer/artist.

the best way to date this painting is to determine what the frame of the canvas is made of.

I have my reservations, the paint looks reasonably new for an oil based.

Comment

Copy

The original is at Westpoint

Owen

Comment

Here is a photo of the back side. The painting is not made on canvas, but it is made on some sort of fast material (see photo). Probably because the lack of canvas when the painting was made. here is also a close up of the front side, to show the paint material closer. (gmac1986; I will bring the painting to my local gallery and have their oppinion about the paint material)

The norwegian national museum of art have no information about this artist R.W Ballheimer, but by google I did find a man with this name who are now dead. It could be the painter. His age fits good with in terms that this painting is made in 1944.

Kammo man, what is "westpoint"? Is that a museum or art gallery? May be this is a stupid question, but how can we know that the "westpoint painting" is the original one? Why is the westpoint-painting not with any form for signature?

In terms of copy or even worse like a fake, it is quite shure that the painting never would have been with a signature? See? (a fake painting does not have a signature..)

I bought this painting from a ordinary german person who did moved to norway from germany. He told me the painting was original and from a man in his family that had "ss-connection" in the war, and his family did not want to remember his "history". He did not have to tell me this, but he did. I did never feelt that this man tried to svindle me or something. he was open minded and gave me the paint for very low prise.

But OF COURSE I must be realistic about this. Of course I am aware that my painting can be a painting of a painting and thats it (I am happy anyway), but I find it exciting to investigate more. The only thing I feel quite shure of is that my painting was made by this Ballheimer in the year of 1944.

Comment

How much did you pay for this original painting by the German artist Ballheimer?

Comment

Don't want disappoint you but the quality isn't very good. The proportions arn't that bad but the painting technic is really far from the original (helmet cover, hands, etc.)
                      For me it looks like a modern copy. The medium on which the painter worked looks really modern.

Comment

Google Westpoint. You will find your answer.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, but his is a very ameturish copy (maybe period, but more likely modern) of an original TR period painting.
                          I am quite good at art, and I could do a better painting than this!
                          Maybe someone back "in the day" had a picture of the original, and executed an amateur copy.
                          More likely though . a modern amateur copy of an original TR artwork!
                          Hope you did not pay too much for this painting.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Hi folks. Thanks for answers.
                            I did not pay so much (luckily..)

Strange guy this Ballheimer, who did put his signature and year on a copy..

Comment

BTW- here you go a cover image of "Der Freiwillige" magazine, issue 8/2006
                              (there are no info about this painting, but undoubtedly postwar IMHO)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X