Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS photo opinions - Agfa marking

Hey guys,
    Just bought a nice SS photo which I am having concerns with. Throughout my studies of Period photo paper markings/etc, I have always considered the "Agfa" marking alone with line above...on snapshots sized photos to be Post-war (50's).
    Now, the photo in hand is very convincing and I do believe it is not a fake per say, but postwar.

I'd like to know what you guys think about this particular Agfa marking and if you think it is post-war or was used during wartime?

(BTW- the lines under the Agfa trademark were used for quality control by the company, and mean nothing else)

This is one site that lists this particular marking as postwar:
    http://www.kriegsberichter.de/Data/fake03e.htm

Thanks for any input
    Attached Files

could you also show a pic of the photo please?

Comment

Sure....Here is the full size pic. Scanner not the best, my apologies. Size is average snapshot....9x6..semi-gloss obverse
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 12thPanzer; 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Photo

Hi there,

I can't comment on the Agfa marking, but this photo does pop up quite a lot around the traps.

It is of a SdKfz 231 at the SS Panzerspähwagen school at Ellwangen. This vehicle probably used to belong to the LAH (number plate SS-1088) which was KO'd on the first day of the war in Poland, 1-9-1939, and was subsequently transferred to the school, by none other but a certain Michael Wittmann, who would become fairly well known later in the war.

Cheers
        Steve

Comment

Thank you for that info. I did not know that about this pic at all.
          I too have seen a much more cropped version of this photo before, but never the full shot like this. (although Im sure the full one exists!) Good to know,
          And it makes sense it is at Ellwangen, as the plate # came back to a Spah-Ersatz Kmp, after checking an online source
          Last edited by 12thPanzer; 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Still interested in what others feel about these Agfa markings. As stated, Ive always related them to post-war paper....so I'm thinking that to be correct. Does anyone have any other examples of this paper?

Thanks again for the info Steve
            Last edited by 12thPanzer; 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Here is the SS -1088
              Attached Files

Comment

Your photo is printed post war
                Michael

Comment

Please look here:
                  http://www.kriegsberichter.de/Data/fake03e.htm
                  BR
                  K.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                    He did already post that in his first post.....

Comment

oh yes sorry.
                      K.

Comment

Originally posted by S Ballantyne View Post
                        Hi there,

I can't comment on the Agfa marking, but this photo does pop up quite a lot around the traps.

It is of a SdKfz 231 at the SS Panzerspähwagen school at Ellwangen. This vehicle probably used to belong to the LAH (number plate SS-1088) which was KO'd on the first day of the war in Poland, 1-9-1939, and was subsequently transferred to the school, by none other but a certain Michael Wittmann, who would become fairly well known later in the war.

Cheers
                        Steve
                        Hi Steve,

Was the vehicle you are refering to nicknamed 'Körner'?

best,

jw b.

Comment

I dont mean to over-write your question JWB......but I believe this is another shot of the same vehicle mentioned by Steve.

And thanks to those who have commented. Suspicions were correct about the Post-war photo paper, at least judging by the few references available online. An interesting photo nonetheless
                          Attached Files

Comment

Replacement

Hi Bill,

Actually, that photo is the original vehicle"s replacement, it now has the later vision ports on the turret. The original vehicle had the nickname "Körner" painted on the forward side of the hull, and this later vehicle has "Körner II" as it's name. This name comes from one of the fallen from the failed Putsch of 1923, the other 8-Rad vehicles of the LAH Panzerspähzug carried "Casella", "Laforce" and "Faust" (later "Faust II" as it too was KO'd on day one of the war and was a total loss).

This photo comes from Bulgaria, near Suhodol on the outskirts of Sofia, April 1941.

Cheers
                            Steve
                            Last edited by S Ballantyne; 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
                              Here is the SS -1088
                              Interesting choice of personal weapon as well , Mauser Broomhandle !!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X